This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Thiostrepton, a new antibiotic, has been suggested as being highly active topically but inactive in terms of systemic therapy when administered orally and ingested. Detailed blood chemistry, hematology, and urine studies were undertaken in twenty-five patients in order that any undesirable systemic effects on physiologic processes following the topical oral administration of Thiostrepton in human beings might be observed.
Our findings indicate that no alteration in general body function and no untoward reactions occurred as the result of the topical oral administration of approximately 1.43 grams per day of a 1 per cent Thiostrepton ointment in divided doses for a period of one week.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Thiostrepton, a New Antibiotic. I. In Vitro Studies.in: Welch H. Martí-Ibañez F. Antibiotics Annual 1955–1956. Medical Encyclopedia, Inc, New York1956: 554
- Thiostrepton: a New Antibiotic. III. In Vivo Studies.in: Welch H. Martí-Ibañez F. Antibiotics Annual, 1955–1956. Medical Encyclopedia, Inc, New York1956: 562
- Thiostrepton, a New Antibiotic. II. Isolation and Chemical Characterization.in: Welch H. Martí-Ibañez F. Antibiotics Annual, 1955–1956. Medical Encyclopedia, Inc, New York1956: 560
- Thiostrepton, a New Antibiotic; Disc Sensitivity Studies.Antibiotics & Chemother. 1958; 8: 576
With the Assistance of Ana Tiburcio
☆Thiostrepton ointment used in this study was supplied by the Squibb Institute for Medical Research, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
© 1959 Published by Elsevier Inc.