This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In a study of benign multinucleated-cell-containing lesions of the jaws, sixty-four examples of giant-cell reparative granuloma and only two of genuine giant-cell tumor of bone were encountered at the Mayo Clinic in a fifty-two-year period. Other benign giant-cell-containing lesions, such as aneurysmal bone cysts, cherubism, fibrous dysplasia, and malignant tumors, must be distinguished from giant-cell reparative granuloma.
The central and peripheral tumors of this giant-cell reparative process are so similar histopathologically that differentiation must be made on roentgenographic or surgical findings, and an arbitrary designation is sometimes necessary.
Giant-cell reparative granulomas respond favorably to conservative surgical removal, which is the treatment of choice.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Giant-Cell Epulis: Histogenesis and Natural History.Brit. D. J. 1952; 93: 13-16
- A Study of Peripheral Giant Cell Tumors of the Gingivae: Clinical and Pathologic.in: Thesis. Graduate School, University of Minnesota, 1953
- Giant-Cell Reparative Granuloma, Traumatic Bone Cyst, and Fibrous (Fibro-osseous) Dysplasia of the Jawbones.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1953; 6: 159-175
- Giant-Cell Tumor of Bone.Cancer. 1954; 7: 764-773
- Postradiation Sarcoma of Bone.Cancer. 1956; 9: 528-542
- Bone Tumors: General Aspects and an Analysis of 2276 Cases.Charles C Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill.,1957
- Central Giant Cell Tumors of Jaws.J. Oral Surg. 1948; 6: 324-330
- Pseudo Giant Cell Tumor (Reparative Granuloma) of the Jaw.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1954; 7: 113-123
- Bone and Bones: Fundamentals of Bone Biology.in: ed. 2. The C. V. Mosby Company, St. Louis1955: 242-267
- Dental Roentgenologic Manifestations of Systemic Disease. I. Endocrine Disturbances.Radiology. 1952; 58: 9-22
- Giant Cell Tumors of the Jawbones.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1953; 6: 1055-1064
- Aneurysmal Bone Cyst: A Pathological Entity Commonly Mistaken for Giant-Cell Tumor and Occasionally for Hemangioma and Osteogenic Sarcoma.Cancer. 1950; 3: 279-289
- Benign Chondroblastoma of Bone: A Reinterpretation of the So-called Cacifying or Chondromatous Giant Cell Tumor.Am. J. Path. 1942; 18: 969-991
☆Abridgment of thesis submitted by Dr. Austin to the Faculty of the Graduate School of the University of Minnesota in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Science in Dentistry.
© 1959 Published by Elsevier Inc.