This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In a comprehensive study of 3,874 routine full-mouth radiographs, the following findings concerning impacted teeth were noted:
- 1.The incidence of patients with at least one impacted tooth was 16.7 per cent.
- 2.The teeth most often impacted, in order of frequency, were the maxillary third molar, the mandibular third molar, the maxillary cuspid, and the mandibular premolars.
- 3.The incidence of impaction was 21.9 per cent for maxillary third molars and 17.5 per cent for mandibular third molars.
- 4.The incidence of impaction among maxillary cuspids was 0.92 per cent.
- 5.No sex differences were noted in the impaction of third molars, but maxillary cuspid impactions were found more frequently in female patients than in male patients.
- 6.No statistically significant predisposition toward bilateral impaction was noted among third molars, while a definite tendency toward unilateral impaction was found in maxillary cuspids.
- 7.Thirty-seven per cent of mandibular and 15 per cent of maxillary impacted third molars were found to have areas of radiolucency around their crowns.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Dentigerous Cyst Is a Potential Adamantinoma.Dental Cosmos. 1933; 75: 889-893
- A Survey of 3,874 Routine Full-Mouth Radiographs. I. A Study of Retained Roots.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1961; 14: 916-924
- Our Third Molar Teeth; Their Eruption, Presence and Absence.Dental Cosmos. 1936; 78: 750-762
- Incidence of Impacted Teeth.Int. J. Orthodontia. 1930; 16: 885-890
- Oral Surgery.in: ed. 4. The C. V. Mosby Company, St. Louis1954: 507-510
- Ameloblastoma; a Survey of 379 Cases From the Literature.Arch. Path. 1937; 23: 831-843
- Ameloblastoma of the Jaws.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1955; 8: 281-297
© 1961 The C. V. Mosby Company. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.