This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
From the large variety of operations that have been evolved for the correction of mandibular prognathism, three basic approaches appear to have unusual merit at the present stage of our developing knowledge:
- 1.1. The body of the mandible ostectomy for correction of elongations or abnormal curvatures of the mandibular body.
- 2.2. The open, intraoral subcondylar osteotomy for correction of minimal to moderate prognathisms through a direct vision procedure.
- 3.3. The oblique osteotomy of the mandibular ramus, with its many possible applications, for correction of minimal to severe prognathisms. This operation will create a new gonial angle to the mandible; it may be performed in a reasonable length of time and is followed by a reasonable period of postoperative immobilization; and it corrects the intraoral tuberosity-ramus relation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A Contribution to the Surgical Correction of Open-Bite.Int. J. Orthodontia. 1934; 28: 1082
- Mandibular Prognathism: Its Etiology and a Classification.J. Oral Surg., Anesth. & Hosp. D. Serv. 1960; 18: 21
- Case of Elongation of Lower Jaw.Am. J. D. Sc. 1849; 9: 157
- Operations on Jawbone and Face.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1907; 4: 67
- Bilateral Resection of the Jaw for Prognathism: Report of a Case.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1912; 15: 51
- Surgical Correction of Mandibular Prognathism.Int. J. Orthodontia. 1932; 18: 1224
- Surgical Management of Mandibular Prognathism.J. Oral Surg. 1946; 4: 61
- Correction of Asymmetric Prognathism by Unilateral Ostectomy.J. Oral Surg. 1953; 11: 42
- Surgical Correction of Mandibular Prognathism.Am. J. Surg. 1941; 53: 2
- Surgical Correction of Mandibular Prognathism, an Improved Method.Am. J. Orthodontics & Oral Surg. 1944; 30: 683
- Correction of Mandibular Prognathism by Intraoral Ostectomy.J. Oral Surg. 1954; 12: 214
- Correction of Prognathism.J. Oral Surg. 1953; 11: 118
- Ostectomy Through Gonial Angle of the Mandible for Correction of Prognathism: Preliminary Report.J. Oral Surg. 1958; 16: 314
- Studies of Anterior and Posterior Occlusion.Dental Cosmos. 1913; 55: 683
- The Surgical Correction of Mandibular Prognathism and Retrognathism With Consideration of Genioplasty.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1957; 10: 677
- Retromolar Osteotomy for the Correction of Prognathism.J. Oral Surg., Anesth. & Hosp. D. Serv. 1961; 19: 42
- Surgical Correction of Mandibular Prognathism by Sub-sigmoid Notch Ostectomy With Sliding Condylotomy: A New Technic.J. Am. Dent. A. 1954; 49: 46
- Temporomandibular Arthroplasty in the Treatment of Prognathism.Plast. & Reconstruct. Surg. 1951; 8: 136
- Late Results in the Treatment of Prognathism by Double Condylectomy.Plast. & Reconstruct. Surg. 1956; 18: 50
- Mandibular Function After Condylectomy.J. Am. Dent. A. 1953; 46: 304
- Traitement chirurgical du prognathisme.Presse méd. 1921; 29: 234
- Rev. de stomatol. 1959; 60 (Cited in): 491
- Die chirurgische Therapie der Progenie.Zahnarzte Rundschau. 1931; 40: 780
- Rev. de stomatol. 1959; (Cited in): 491
- Surgical Correction of Mandibular Prognathism.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1956; 9: 1255
- Osteotomy of Condylar Neck for Correction of Prognathism: Study of 52 Cases.J. Oral Surg. 1957; 15: 183
- Gustatory Hyperhidrosis Associated With Subcondylar Osteotomy.J. Oral Surg., Anesth. & Hosp. D. Serv. 1950; 18: 50
Moose, S. M.: Personal communications, 1957 through 1960.
- Correction of Abnormal Mandibular Protrusion by Intraoral Operation.J. Oral Surg. 1945; 3: 304
- Instances of Operative Correction of Malrelation of the Jaws.Int. J. Orthodontia. 1915; 1: 395
- Oral Surgery.in: P. Blakiston's Son & Co, Philadelphia1915: 1049
- Ostectomy for the Correction of Mandibular Malrelation of Developmental Origin.J. Oral Surg. 1944; 2: 239
- Intraoral Ostectomy of Ascending Rami for Correction of Prognathism.Texas Dent. J. 1951; 69: 375
- Ostectomy for Correction of Mandibular Protrusion.Am. J. Orthodontics & Oral Surg. 1946; 32: 445
- New Surgical Method for Correction of Prognathism of the Mandible.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1951; 4: 689
- The Surgical Treatment of Prognathism: An Analysis of 65 Cases.Am. J. Surg. 1954; 87: 691
- Vertical Osteotomy in Mandibular Rami for Correction of Prognathism.J. Oral Surg. 1954; 12: 185
- Oral Surgery.in: ed. 3. The C. V. Mosby Company, St. Louis1958: 1407-1408
- Correction of Prognathism by Subcondylar Osteotomy.J. Oral Surg. 1958; 16: 209
- Prognathism Corrected by Open Vertical Subcondylotomy.J. Oral Surg. 1958; 16: 215
Thoma, K. H.: Personal communication, 1960.
☆From presentations at the annual combined meeting of the Northern and Southern California Societies of Oral Surgeons, 1959; the 38th Parallel Dental Society in Korea, 1960; and the annual combined meeting of the Honolulu Dental Society and the Military Dental Officers in Hawaii, 1960.
© 1961 Published by Elsevier Inc.