This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The clinical course and autopsy findings of a patient who died of the hemorrhagic complications of monocytic leukemia have been presented. The tongue lesion, a previously uninvestigated oral manifestation of leukemia, is described both grossly and microscopically. The leukemic cell infiltrates followed the pattern seen in the skin rather than that seen in the gingiva. It is suggested that laryngectomy and radiation to the oral cavity in this patient were predisposing factors in the development of the tongue lesion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Leukemia and Allied Disorders.The Macmillan Company, New York1938
- Leukemia Cutis.Charles C Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill1960
- Symptoms and Signs Referable to the Oral Cavity in Blood Dyscrasias.Oral Surg., Oral Med. & Oral Path. 1953; 6: 614-630
- Oral Manifestations of Blood Disease.Ann. Dent. 1954; 16: 109-115
- Oral Manifestations of Leukemia.J. Tennessee M. A. 1962; 55: 56-57
- Oral Manifestations of the Blood Diseases.J. Am. Dent. A. 1952; 44: 698-701
- Monocytic Leukemia (General Review of the Subject).Medicine. 1942; 21: 421-456
- Histopathology of Monocytic Leukemia.Am. J. Path. 1947; 23: 93-123
- Monocytic Leukemia With Lesions of the Skin and Mucous Membranes as First Manifestations.Arch. Dermat. & Syph. 1943; 47: 298-299
- The Oral Lesions of Monocytic Leukemia.New England J. Med. 1946; 234: 787-790
- The Skin and Mucous Membrane Manifestations of Monocytic Leukemia.Connecticut Med. 1959; 23: 644-647
- Clinical and Pathological Differentiation of the Acute Leukemias With Special Reference to Acute Monocytic Leukemia.Arch. Int. Med. 1934; 53: 1-34
- Monocytic Leukemia; Report of Six Cases and Review of One Hundred Twenty-seven Cases.Arch. Int. Med. 1937; 59: 931-951
- Leukemia as a Dental Problem.J. Am. Dent. A. 1957; 55: 809-818
☆This work was partially supported by Grant No. 06215 from the National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Health, United States Public Health Service.
© 1966 Published by Elsevier Inc.