This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This report describes the clinical and histologic features of a case of megaloblastic anemia, resulting from a gastric bypass operation, in which oral symptoms were the first significant finding. Although this case appears to be the first of its type reported in the literature, the potential for future cases is increasing with the increased use of the gastric bypass operation in the treatment of morbid obesity.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The epithelial cells in megaloblastic anemias.J Clin Pathol. 1959; 12: 228
- Clinical and histologic changes of the oral mucosa in pernicious anemia.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1981; 52: 38
- The clinical manifestations of vitamin B12 deficiency in addisonian pernicious anemia, vitamin B12 and intrinsic factor.in: Heinrich HC Europeasches Symposium, Hamburg F. Enke, Stuttgart1962: 590
- The megaloblastic anemias.in: Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford1969: 622-626
- Death from anemia (two cases).Med Times Gaz. 1851; 23: 480
- Further observations on pernicious anemia (seven cases): A chronic infective disease.Lancet. 1900; 1: 221
- Nonspecific stomatitis—a presenting sign in pernicious anemia.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1975; 39: 562
- Oral aspects of pernicious anemia.Br Dent J. 1968; 125: 266
- Textbook of medicine.in: ed. 14. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1975: 1404-1407
- Blood changes in a gastrectomized patient simulating those in pernicious anemia.Am J Med Sci. 1921; 162: 201
- A review, surgery for morbid obesity.J Surg Res. 1982; 33: 74
- Gastric bypass in obesity.Surg Clin North Am. 1967; 47: 1345
- Intrinsic factor studies. II. The effect of gastric juice on the urinary excretion of radioactivity after the oral administration of radioactive vitamin B12.J Lab Clin Med. 1953; 42: 860
- Gastric partitioning for morbid obesity.Ann Surg. 1979; 190: 392
- Changes in the blood after partial gastrectomy with special reference to vitamin B12.Q J Med. 1962; 31: 71
- The hematologic complications following partial gastrectomy: a study of 292 patients.Am J Med. 1967; 43: 555
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.