This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The literature reports contradictory findings concerning the relationship between structural hard-tissue changes and internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint. Therefore, an analysis was undertaken of radiographs, including arthrograms of 128 patients with internal derangement in the form of anterior displacement of the disk. Structural hard-tissue changes were seen in one half of the patients with anterior disk displacement without reduction but very seldom in patients showing anterior disk displacement with reduction. Structural hard-tissue changes were always found in joints with perforation of the disk. Thus, structural hard-tissue changes occurred predominantly in patients with advanced internal derangement and may be interpreted as signs of progression of the disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Structural changes in the finger, wrist and temporomandibular joint.Acta Odontol Scand. 1968; 26: 111-126
- Alterations in the temporomandibular joint.Oral Surg. 1973; 36: 625-631
- Radiography of the temporomandibular joint utilizing the transmaxillary projection.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 1975; 4: 76-83
- Radiography of the temporomandibular joint utilizing oblique lateral transcranial projections.Odontol Revy. 1976; 27: 77-92
- Variation in interpretation of radiographs of temporomandibular and hand joints.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 1978; 7: 95-102
- Relationship between clinical and radiographic findings in patients with mandibular pain and dysfunction.Acta Radiol. 1979; 20: 465-477
- Longitudinal study of transpharyngeal radiography in temporomandibular arthropathy.Scand J Dent Res. 1980; 88: 257-268
- Arthrography of the temporomandibular joint in patients with the TMJ pain-dysfunction syndrome.Minn Med. 1978; 61: 645-652
- Structural and functional alterations of the temporomandibular joint.Northwest Dent. 1978; 57: 287-294
- Inferior joint space arthrography and characteristics of condylar paths in internal derangements of the TMJ.J Prosthet Dent. 1979; 41: 548-555
- Arthrotomography of the temporomandibular joint.AJR. 1980; 134: 995-1003
- Internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint: correlation of arthrography with surgical findings.J Oral Surg. 1981; 39: 572-584
- Double-contrast arthrography and internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint.Swed Dent J. 1982; : 1-57
- Double-contrast arthrotomography of the temporomandibular joint.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1983; 41: 163-172
- Arthrotomographic diagnosis of meniscus perforations in the temporomandibular joint.Br J Radiol. 1980; 53: 283-285
- Clinical and radiological study of patients with anterior disc displacement.Swed Dent J. 1983; 7: 55-64
- Skull.in: Positioning in radiography. ed. 7. William Heineman Ltd, London1956: 222-225
- The transmaxillary projection in temporomandibular joint radiography.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 1975; 4: 13-18
- Radiology of the TMJ.in: Current advances in oral surgery. vol. III. The C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis1980: 196-226
- Internal derangement and arthritis of the temporomandibular joint.Radiology. 1983; 146: 107-112
Liedberg J, Rohlin M, Westesson PL: Observer performance in assessment of condylar position in temporomandibular joint radiographs. Acta Odontol Scand (in press).
- Changes in the temporomandibular joint after surgical treatment: a radiologic follow-up study.Oral Surg. 1971; 32: 865-875
- Correlation of condylar mobility and arthrotomography in patients with internal derangements of the temporomandibular joint.Oral Surg. 1982; 54: 622-627
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.