This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The damage caused to rat submandibular glands by intraductal injection was examined. When a small volume of isotonic saline was injected, even if salivation was not influenced, salivary composition was greatly affected because the intercellular junctions of the duct cells were damaged. Intraductal injections of hyperosmotic solutions or highly viscous liquids were more effective in damaging intercellular junctions. When interpreting the significance of a salivary composition in clinical diagnosis, it is necessary to consider the sialographic damage which might influence the salivary composition.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnostic roentgenology.in: Rankow RM Polayes IM Diseases of the salivary glands. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1976: 54-98
- Permeability changes to glucose in paracellular pathway of rat submandibular glands by exposure to intraductal pressure.Jpn J Oral Biol. 1982; 24: 214-215
- Permeability increase of glucose in rat submandibular glands due to mechanical and osmotic stress elicited by retrograde injections into the ducts.J Osaka Dent Univ. 1982; 16: 7-16
- The salivary secretions in health and disease.Oral Sci Rev. 1976; 8: 25-47
- Determination of glucose in blood using glucose oxidase with an alternative oxygen acceptor.Ann Clin Biochem. 1969; 6: 24-27
- The secretion of non-electrolytes in the parotid saliva.J Cell Comp Physiol. 1956; 48: 113-138
- Hydrostatic sialography.Oral Surg. 1973; 36: 116-130
- Isobaric sialography.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 1973; 2: 37-39
- The influence of gland size on the flow rate and composition of human parotid saliva.Can Dent Assoc J. 1978; 44: 21-25
- Changes in canine saliva ion concentration induced by increased intraluminal pressure.Am J Physiol. 1976; 231: 974-978
- The contribution of a chloride shunt to the transmucosal potential of the rabbit submaxillary duct.J Membr Biol. 1975; 25: 213-236
- Permeability of salivary glands to macromolecules.in: Zelles T Saliva and salivation. Akadémiai Kiadó, Budapest1981: 109-117
- Alterations in rat jejunal permeability to a macromolecular tracer during a hyperosmotic load.Lab Invest. 1978; 38: 447-454
- The splitting of hepatocyte gap junctions and zonulae occludentes with hypertonic disaccharides.J Cell Biol. 1974; 61: 575-590
- Osmotic opening of tight junctions in cerebral endothelium.J Comp Neurol. 1974; 152: 317-325
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.