This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The manner in which temporomandibular joint soft-tissue structures remodel following diskectomy has been assessed by double-contrast arthrotomography. Pre- and postoperative arthrograms were compared in ten joints. The intra-articular soft-tissue cover of the bony components was frequently thicker 1 to 3 years after the operation. The most pronounced thickening was observed in the mandibular fossa, whereas a thinner cover was found on the condyle and the tubercle. Development of a thick soft-tissue cover on the articulating surfaces indicates that the temporomandibular joint has a capacity for functional adaptation following diskectomy. This may be an essential factor for a favorable postoperative result.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Discitis mandibularis.Zentralbl Chir. 1909; 36: 289-291
- Kaebe—dysfunktions—syndromet.Odontol Tidskr. 1965; 73: 7-125
- Changes in the temporomandibular joint after surgical treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1971; 32: 865-875
- Surgical treatment of temporomandibular joint disorders.Swed Dent J. 1981; 5: 41-54
Eriksson L, Westesson P-L: Discectomy of the temporomandibular joint. A thirty year follow-up study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg (in press).
- Thickness of the soft tissue layers and the articular disk in the temporomandibular joint.Acta Odontol Scand. 1977; 35: 77-83
- Double-contrast arthrography and internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint.Swed Dent J (Suppl). 1982; 13: 1-57
- Double-contrast arthrotomography of the temporomandibular joint: Introduction of an arthrotomographic technique for visualization of the disc and articular surfaces.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1983; 41: 163-172
- Arthrography of the temporomandibular joint in patients with the TMJ pain-dysfunction syndrome.Minn Med. 1978; 61: 645-652
- Structural and functional alterations of the temporomandibular joint.Northwest Dent. 1978; 57: 287-294
- Description of a new cephalostat and its performance.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 1975; 4: 25-29
- Radiography of the temporomandibular joint utilizing oblique lateral transcranial projections.Odontol Revy. 1976; 26: 77-92
- Tomography of the temporomandibular joint.Acta Radiol (Suppl) (Stockh). 1973; 329: 103
- Condylar movement in the study of internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint.J Bone Joint Surg. 1946; 28: 351-373
- Temporomandibular joint arthrosis and its treatment by extirpation of the disk.Acta Chir Scand. 1947; 95: 156-162
- Meniscus injuries of the temporomandibular joint.J Bone Joint Surg. 1963; 45A: 113-124
- Macroscopic anatomy of the temporomandibular joint.in: Zarb GA Carlsson GE Temporomandibular joint. Function and Dysfunction. Munksgaard, Copenhagen1979: 101-118
- Diagnostic accuracy of double-contrast arthrotomography of the temporomandibular joint: Correlation with postmortem morphology.AJNR. 1984; 5: 463-468
- AJR. 1984; 143: 655-660
- Clinical application of arthroscopy in the temporomandibular joint diseases.Bull Tokyo Med Dent Univ. 1980; 27: 141-150
- Regional anatomical nomenclature and arthroscopic terminology in human temporomandibular joints.Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn. 1982; 58: 745-760
- Arthroscopy of the temporomandibular joint.Int J Oral Surg. 1984; 13: 69-74
- Suppurative arthritis of the temporomandibular joint.J Maxillofac Surg. 1984; 12: 41-46
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.