This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Forty adult male Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into two equal groups, control (Group 1) and experimental (Group 2). Group 2 received 100 mg of dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate (vitamin E) twice weekly by the oral route. After 2 weeks the animals in both groups were subjected to pulp exposures that were capped with zinc oxide and eugenol and to pulp exposures that were left open. The oral administration of 100 mg dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate in the Group 2 animals was continued for periods of 1 day to 4 weeks after the operative procedures. The animals were killed 1 day, 3 days, and 1, 2, and 4 weeks after the procedures. The most severe, prolonged, and extensive pulpal disease was seen in both groups when the pulp exposure was left open to the oral flora. The most favorable repair and healing results took place after 1,2, and 4 weeks in the Group 2 animals in pulp exposures covered with zinc oxide and eugenol.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Antiinflammatory activity of vitamin E.J Vitaminol. 1972; 18: 204-209
- Vitamin E protects mice against Diplococcus pneumoniae Type 1 infection.Infect Immun. 1974; 10: 1292-1295
- Proection of chicks against E. coli infection by dietary supplementation with vitamin E.in: Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 146. 1974: 279-287
- Effects of vitamin E and A on homoral immunity and phagocytosis in E. coli infected chickens.Poult Sci. 1977; 56: 957-963
- Vitamin E and aspirin depress prostaglandins in protection of chickens against Escherichia coli infection.Am J Clin Nutr. 1981; 34: 245-251
- Effects of vitamin E on the immune response of hypoxic and normal chickens.Infect Immun. 1972; 5: 987-989
- Enhancement of the humoral immune response by vitamin E.Int Arch Allergy Appl Immunol. 1973; 44: 211-232
- Influence of vitamin E and selenium on immune response mechanisms.in: Fed Proc. 38. 1979: 2139-2143
- Vitamin E and immune response. I. Enhancement of helper T cell activity by dietary supplementation of vitamin E in mice.Immunology. 1979; 38: 727-734
- The effect of vitamin E on the healing of gingival wounds in rats.J Periodontol. 1982; 54: 305-308
- Ricerche sperimental: Sull impiego della Vitamina E (a-tocopherol) sul processo di cicatrizzatione della ferita post-extractiva.Riv Ital Stomatol. 1967; 22: 743-771
- Differentiation of new odontoblasts and dentin bridge formation in rat molar teeth after tooth grinding.Arch Oral Biol. 1968; 13: 1399-1412
- Histologic changes in dental pulp of dogs and monkeys following application of pressure, drugs, and microorganisms or prepared cavities. Part I and Part II.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1961; 14: 327-346
- Histologic changes in dental pulp of dogs and monkeys following application of pressure, drugs, and microorganisms or prepared cavities. Part I and Part II.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1961; 14: 856-867
- Method for determination of vitamin E (total tocopherols) in serum.Clin Chem. 1964; 10: 1078-1086
- The effects of surgical exposures of dental pulp in germ-free and conventional laboratory rats.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1965; 20: 340-349
- Bacterial contamination and the exposed pulp.Br Dent J. 1976; 140: 231-236
- Cariogenic effects of excess vitamin E in rats.J Dent Res. 1978; 57: 244
- Radioimmunoassay of prostaglandins in pulpal and periapical inflammation.in: Thesis. Boston University, 1977
- Transport and metabolism of vitamin E. VI. Excretion.in: Machlin LJ Vitamin E: A comprehensive treatise. Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York1980: 250
- Healing of pinpoint exposure of rat incisor pulp under various capping agents.J Dent Res. 1966; 45: 1130-1143
- The healing of experimentally induced pulpitis.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1974; 38: 115-121
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.