This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The surgical treatment of intermediate- to late-stage temporomandibular joint disease often involves disk removal. In many instances, disks have not been replaced; long-term postsurgical findings of crepitation and osseous remodeling have been noted although subjective signs and symptoms have been few. Attempts to decrease the noises and bony changes, to enhance biologic resurfacing, and to prevent adhesions, recurrent pain, and dysfunction have prompted many surgeons to use various alloplastic materials to replace the disk, either in a planned permanent (retained) or a planned temporary (retrievable) manner. However, a certain degree of morbidity remains. This article reports clinical responses and radiographic findings in a series of patients who received retained alloplastic temporomandibular joint disk implants.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Historical perspectives and comparisons of TMJ surgery for internal disk derangements and arthropathy.J Craniomandibular Pract. 1986; 4: 74-85
Merrill R. Personal communication.
- New design for Silastic implants in temporomandibular joint surgery.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1986; 44: 163-164
- Diagnosis and reconstruction of the human temporomandibular joint after trauma or internal derangement.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985; 75: 192-205
- Silastic temporomandibular joint implant HP. (Wilkes Design).in: Product information sheets. 1985
- Meniscectomy for damaged discs of the temporomandibular joint.South Med J. 1985; 78: 569-572
Wilkes C. Personal communication.
- Clinical experiences with Proplast as an implant.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1979; 63: 219-223
- The uses of synthetic implant material in osteoplastic frontal sinusotomy.Laryngoscope. 1980; 90: 47-52
- Proplast reconstruction of the lower sternum.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1981; 68: 795-797
- A study of the reaction of human tissue to Proplast.J Biomed Mater Res. 1979; 13: 121-134
- Growth of tissue into a porous, low modulus coating on intramedullary nails.Clin Orthop. 1982; (Apr): 293-305
- Obliteration of traumatically induced articular surface defects using a porous implant.J Hand Surg. 1980; 5: 328-337
- Soft tissue response to Proplast: quantitation of scar ingrowth.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1978; 61: 214-219
- Temporomandibular joint surgery: patient-based assessment and evaluation.J Am Dent Assoc. 1985; 110: 485-489
- Product information.May and October, 1986
- Abstract)VIII International Conference on Oral Surgery. 1983 (
- The Proplast-Teflon implant in TMJ reconstruction following meniscectomy.in: Proceedings, Annual Meeting, Scientific Abstracts. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, New Orleans, La1986: 24
- Review of TMJ surgery.in: Proceedings, Sixth Annual Meeting. Farrar-Norgaard Society, Minneapolis, Minn1986
- Contemporary reconstructive arthroplastic procedures.in: Proceedings, First International Symposium on TMJ Arthroscopy, New York, N. Y.1986
- Temporomandibular joint meniscus replacement with alloplasts.in: Abstract, IX International Conference in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 1986
- Pre- and post-surgical tomographic analysis of TMJ arthroplasties.in: Proceedings, Annual Meeting, Scientific Abstract Session. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, New Orleans, La1986
- Comparative study of alloplastic materials for temporomandibular joint disc replacement in rabbits.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1986; 44: 541-554
- Silicone-induced foreign body reaction and lymphadenopathy after temporomandibular joint arthroplasty.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1985; 59: 449-452
- Patient with lymphadenopathy following temporomandibular joint arthroplasty with Proplast.J Craniomandibular Pract. 1986; 4: 172-178
- Deterioration of temporary silicone implant in the temporomandibular joint: a clinical and arthroscopic follow-up study.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1986; 62: 2-6
- Philadelphia, Pa.1981 Proceedings, AAOMS Clinical Congress,
Ryan D. Personal communication.
- TMJ disorders.in: Proceedings, Annual Meeting. Colorado Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Vail, Colo1986
- Comparison of mechanical properties of the human TMJ meniscus and Proplast II laminates.in: Proceedings, Abstract Session, AAOMS annual meeting, Washington, DC1985
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.