We describe here the temporomandibular joint and masticatory muscle abnormalities disclosed by computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in a 25-year-old man with centronuclear myopathy (a congenital myopathy) who presented with marked limitation of jaw movements. We found an intense and general fatty replacement of the masticatory muscles, and magnetic resonance imaging signals indicated articular fibrosis. We conclude that in centronuclear myopathy, the presence of weakness and hypomotility of the masticatory muscles can induce chronic abnormalities of the temporomandibular joint. (Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2000;90:118-21)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Myotubular myopathy: persistence of fetal muscle in an adolescent boy.Arch Neurol. 1966; 14: 1-14
- Congenital myopathies.in: 2nd ed. Myology. : McGraw-Hill, New York1994: 1487-1532
- The descending ocular myopathy of early childhood: myotubular or centronuclear myopathy.Eur Neurol. 1970; 3: 1-12
- Centronuclear myopathy: clinical aspects of ten Brazilian patients with childhood onset.J Neurol Sci. 1998; 158: 76-82
- MRI of normal and pathologic skeletal muscle.AJR. 1986; 146: 565-574
- Histopathological basis of muscle imaging.in: Muscle imaging in health and disease. : Springer-Verlag, New York1996: 183-191
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction in myotonic dystrophy.Neurology. 1966; 16: 212-216
- Muscle function and craniofacial morphology: a clinical study in patients with myotonic dystrophy.Eur J Orthod. 1989; 11: 131-138
- Atypical nemaline myopathy with temporomandibular ankylosis.Neurology. 1980; 30: 971-975
- Temporomandibular joint fibrous ankylosis following orthognathic surgery: report of eight cases.Int J Adult Orthod Orthog Surg. 1989; 4: 7-11
- The effects of immobilization on the primate temporomandibular joint: a histologic and histochemical study.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1982; 40: 3-8
- The effects of immobilization on the rabbit temporomandibular joint.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1985; 43: 188-193
Accepted: January 19, 2000
Received: October 18, 1999
*Supported by financial grant No. 143516/96-5 from the CNPq.
**Reprint requests: Edmar Zanoteli, MD, Department of Neurology, Universidade Federal de São Paulo-Escola Paulista de Medicina, Rua Botucatu, 740-São Paulo, Brazil 04023-9000
© 2000 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.