Root fractures involve damage to pulp, cementum, dentin, and periodontal ligaments. These injuries affect 0.5% to 7% of permanent teeth. Cervical root fractures are less frequently seen and have a worse prognosis compared with the fractures in the apical or middle third of the root. This case report describes the treatment of a cervical root fracture in a maxillary central incisor. After removal of the coronal fragment, the root was filled temporarily with calcium hydroxide and orthodontic extrusion was initiated. The remaining root portion was elevated above the epithelial attachment and a successful coronal restoration was made using the natural crown of the traumatized tooth.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Etiology and pathogenesis of traumatic dental injuries.Scand J Dent Res. 1970; 78: 329-342
- The incidence of complications following root fractures in permanent anterior teeth.Br Dent J. 1986; 160: 119-122
- Outcomes for root-fractured permanent incisors: a retrospective study.Pediatr Dent. 2002; 24: 98-102
- Intra-alveolar root fractures: radiographic and histologic study of 50 cases.J Oral Surg. 1967; 25: 414-426
- Root fractures in permanent anterior teeth with incomplete root formation.Scand J Dent Res. 1976; 84: 210-217
- Root fractures.in: Curzon M.E.J. Handbook of dental trauma. 1st ed. Wright, Boston1999: 99-105
- Prognosis of root-fractured permanent incisors.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1996; 12: 129-136
- Traumatic injuries.in: Cohen S. Burns R.C. Pathways of the pulp. Mosby, St. Louis1998: 567-572
- Prognosis of root fractured permanent incisors: prediction of healing modalities.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1989; 5: 11-22
- Long-term prognosis of 66 permanent anterior teeth with root fracture.Scand J Dent Res. 1975; 83: 345-354
- Root fractures.in: Andreasen J.O. Andreasen F.M. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. 3rd ed. Munksgaard, Copenhagen1994: 279-314
- Conservative treatment for root fracture located very close to gingiva.Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21: 111-114
- Treatment of a horizontal root fracture by vital root submergence.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1997; 13: 248-250
- Healing and prognosis of teeth with intra-alveolar fractures involving the cervical part of the root.Dent Traumatol. 2002; 18: 57-65
- A conservative multidisciplinary approach for improved aesthetic results with traumatised anterior teeth.Br Dent J. 2006; 201: 509-512
- An immediate adhesive bridge using the natural tooth.Br Dent J. 1998; 184: 18-20
Accepted: March 23, 2007
Received: March 19, 2007
© 2007 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.