The objective of this study was to determine the clinical presentations and management of thyroglossal duct cyst (TDC or thyroglossal tract remnant [TTR]) between children and adults and evaluate risk factors associated with recurrence after surgery for TDCs.
A retrospective study of all patients with TDCs managed in our department from January 1998 through April 2008 was performed. All records were reviewed for age and sex, sizes and locations of cysts, diagnostic methods, surgical management, recurrences, and complications. Differences between children and adults and risk factors associated with recurrence were evaluated.
A total of 106 patients (47 children and 59 adults) were treated for TDC. Of the children, 57.4% were male and 42.6% were female, whereas 50.8% of the adults were male and 49.2% were female. There were no significant differences in sex in either group (P > .49). The average age was 7.0 ± 4.2 years in children and 36.0 ± 18.0 years in adults, which demonstrates a bimodal distribution. Adults were significantly more likely than children to present with a complaint other than mass or infection (P < .01), including pain, dysphagia, dysphonia, and fistula formation. There was no significant difference in frequency of location between the adults and children. In this article, 94.9% (56/59) of the adults and 87.2% (41/47) of the children underwent a Sistrunk operation, whereas the others underwent cyst excision. There were 2 recurrences among adults and 3 among children, all of whom presented with an infected neck mass and were treated with a second Sistrunk procedure. The recurrence rates and complications between children and adults were not significantly different.
The incidence of TDC was equal in males and females and had a bimodal distribution with similar incidence in children and adults. Adults were significantly more likely than children to present with a complaint other than mass or infection. The Sistrunk procedure is recommended as the main choice of treatment. Cyst infection may have a role in recurrence.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The thyroglossal cyst.Head Neck Surg. 1982; 5: 143-146
- Radioisotope scanning of the thyroid gland prior to thyroglossal duct cyst excision.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1998; 124: 597-599
- The surgical management of cysts of the thyroglossal tract.Ann Surg. 1920; 71: 121-123
- Thoma's oral pathology.J Periodontol. 1972; 43: 575-577
- Congenital cysts and fistulas of the neck.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2000; 55: 117-124
- An incidence study on thyroglossal duct cysts in adults.Saudi Med J. 2007; 28: 593-597
- Congenital neck masses: a descriptive retrospective study of 252 cases.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 65: 2242-2247
- Pathological analysis of congenital cervical cysts in children: 20 years of experience at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital.Chang Gung Med J. 2003; 26: 107-113
- Thyroglossal duct cysts: presentation and management in children versus adults.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2003; 67: 1285-1290
- Thyroglossal duct cyst: a comparison between children and adults.Am J Otolaryngol. 2008; 29: 83-87
- Management of thyroglossal duct cysts in children.Pediatr Int. 2004; 46: 77-80
- Thyroglossal duct cysts: sonographic appearances in adults.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1999; 20: 579-582
- Sonographic evaluation of thyroglossal duct cysts in children.Clin Radiol. 2000; 55: 770-774
- ABC of general surgery in children.BMJ. 1996; 312: 368-371
- Imaging for thyroglossal duct cyst: the bare essentials.Clin Radiol. 2005; 60: 141-148
- Thyroglossal duct carcinoma.Am Surg. 1994; 60: 650-655
- Thyroglossal duct cyst carcinoma: case report and review of the literature, with emphasis on CT findings.Neuroradiology. 2001; 43: 647-649
- Cytologic findings in thyroglossal duct carcinoma.Am J Clin Pathol. 1996; 106: 615-619
- Investigation and treatment of thyroglossal cysts in children.J R Soc Med. 2000; 93: 18-21
- Thyroglossal duct remnants, preoperative evaluation and management.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1991; 117: 1378-1381
- Thyroglossal duct cyst: personal experience and literature review.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2008; 35: 11-25
- Excision of thyroglossal duct cyst: the Sistrunk procedure.Oper Tech Otolaryngol. 2004; 15: 220-223
- Ueber die fistula colli congenita.Arch Klin Chir. 1893; 46: 390-392
- Technique of removal of cysts and sinuses of the thyroglossal duct.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1928; 46: 109-112
- Management of thyroglossal cysts in children.Br J Surg. 1989; 76: 811-814
- Is the treatment for thyroglossal duct cysts too extensive?.Am J Surg. 1986; 152: 602-605
- Sistrunk revisited: a 10-year review of revision thyroglossal duct surgery at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children.J Otolaryngol. 1989; 18: 325-333
- Clinical results of the shallow core-out procedure in thyroglossal duct cyst operation.J Pediatr Surg. 1999; 34: 1589-1592
- Management of thyroglossal tract disease after failed Sistrunk's procedure.J Laryngol Otol. 2003; 117: 710-712
- Complications associated with the Sistrunk procedure.Laryngoscope. 2001; 111: 119-123
- Thyroglossal duct cyst: the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary experience and a literature review, ENT.Ear Nose Throat J. 1998; 77: 642-651
- Risk factors for thyroglossal duct remnants after Sistrunk procedure in a pediatric population.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2003; 67: 19-23
- Recurrent thyroglossal duct cysts: a clinical and pathologic analysis.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1998; 44: 47-50
- Thyroglossal duct cyst's inflammation.Pediatr Surg Int. 2005; 21: 991-993
- Thyroglossal duct infections and surgical outcomes.J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 39: 396-399
Accepted: October 28, 2010
Received in revised form: October 8, 2010
Received: July 10, 2010
This study was supported by Xi'an Science and Technology Program (SF09030(4); SF1023(5)), Science and Technology Program in Shaanxi Province of China (2009K17-03) and Innovation grant of College of Medicine, and funds of Xi'an Jiaotong University (xjj20100216).
© 2011 Published by Elsevier Inc.