The aim of this study was to compare microcirculatory parameters in normal versus alveolar cleft gingiva in children selected for secondary bone grafting procedures.
This study included 11 consecutive patients with complete unilateral alveolar clefts who required secondary bone grafting procedures. In a split-mouth design, noninvasive real-time simultaneous measurements among tissue oxygen saturation (StO2), hemoglobin level (rHb), and blood flow parameters were obtained from normal and alveolar cleft gingiva using spectrophotometry and laser Doppler flowmetry. Subsequent noninvasive capillary density measurements and tissue microangioarchitecture were assessed using sidestream dark-field imaging.
There were no significant differences in StO2 and rHb between normal and alveolar cleft gingiva. Blood flow, blood flow velocity, and capillary density were significantly decreased in alveolar cleft gingiva (P < 0.05).
Alveolar cleft reconstructions alter gingival microperfusion properties, and microvascular changes adapt to conserve peak oxygen saturation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The incidence of oral clefts: a review.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1996; 34: 488-494
- Treatment variables affecting facial growth in complete unilateral cleft lip and palate.Cleft Palate J. 1987; 24: 5-77
- Blood-flow mapping of oral tissues by laser Doppler flowmetry.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1994; 23: 312-315
- Microcirculation of the healthy human gingiva.Odontology. 2002; 90: 48-51
- Microcirculation and micromorphology of healthy and inflamed gingivae.Odontology. 2003; 91: 19-25
- Evaluation of gingival blood flow by the use of laser Doppler flowmetry following periodontal surgery.J Periodontal Res. 2005; 40: 129-137
- Gingival blood flow changes following periodontal access flap surgery using laser Doppler flowmetry.J Clin Periodontol. 2007; 34: 437-443
- Comparison of gingival blood flow during healing of simplified papilla preservation and modified Widman flap surgery: a clinical trial using laser Doppler flowmetry.J Clin Periodontol. 2007; 34: 903-911
- Hemoglobin concentration and oxygen saturation of clinically healthy and inflamed gingiva in human subjects.J Periodontal Res. 1990; 25: 93-98
- Red blood cell transfusions and tissue oxygenation in anemic hematology outpatients.Transfusion. 2012; 52: 641-646
- The effect of nitroglycerin on microvascular perfusion and oxygenation during gastric tube reconstruction.Anesth Analg. 2005; 100: 1107-1111
- The effects of intravenous nitroglycerine and norepinephrine on gastric microvascular perfusion in an experimental model of gastric tube reconstruction.Surgery. 2010; 148: 71-77
- The impact of the Micro-Lightguide O2C for the quantification of tissue ischemia in diabetic foot ulcers.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2863-2867
- Haemodialysis is associated with changes in cutaneous microcirculation in diabetes mellitus.Diabet Med. 2009; 26: 89-92
- The effects of arterial carbon dioxide partial pressure and sevoflurane on capillary venous cerebral blood flow and oxygen saturation during craniotomy.Anesth Analg. 2009; 109: 199-204
- Intraoperative monitoring of cerebral microcirculation and oxygenation—a feasibility study using a novel photo-spectrometric laser-Doppler flowmetry.J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2010; 22: 38-45
- Microcirculation of the sternum following harvesting of the left internal mammary artery.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003; 51: 255-259
- Improved preservation and microcirculation with POLYSOL after transplantation in a porcine kidney autotransplantation model.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009; 24: 816-824
- Free flap monitoring using simultaneous non-invasive laser Doppler flowmetry and tissue spectrophotometry.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2006; 34: 25-33
- Assessment of the perfusion and morbidity of the buccal mucosal donor site for grafting of urethral strictures.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2012; 40: 47-50
- Effect of smoking on the gingival capillary density: assessment of gingival capillary density with orthogonal polarization spectral imaging.J Clin Periodontol. 2005; 32: 1208-1212
- The temporal course of mucoperiosteal flap revascularization at guided bone regeneration-treated implant sites: a pilot study.J Clin Periodontol. 2009; 36: 892-897
- The acute effects of CMF-based chemotherapy on maxillary periodontal microcirculation.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2009; 64: 1047-1052
- The microcirculation is the motor of sepsis.Crit Care. 2005; 9: S13-S19
- Sidestream dark field (SDF) imaging: a novel stroboscopic LED ring-based imaging modality for clinical assessment of the microcirculation.Opt Express. 2007; 15: 15101-15114
- How to evaluate the microcirculation: report of a round table conference.Crit Care. 2007; 11: R101
- The assessment of the gingival capillary density with orthogonal spectral polarization (OPS) imaging.Arch Oral Biol. 2006; 51: 697-702
Published online: September 03, 2012
Accepted: April 13, 2012
Received in revised form: March 18, 2012
Received: February 16, 2012
Conflict of Interest In addition to his listed affiliation, Can Ince is inventor of the sidestream dark-field imaging technique and, therefore, holds patents and stock in this technology. The remaining authors indicate they have no personal financial relationships or potential conflicts of interest to declare.
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.