The objective of this study was to investigate the histogenesis of ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumors (ECTs) of the tongue.
The biochemical characteristics of a rarely occurring tumor of the tongue were analyzed by immunohistochemistry and reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), and its biological properties were assessed in primary culture in serum-free media.
Immunohistochemistry showed that the tumor cells were strongly positive for vimentin, S-100, and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP), but negative for cytokeratin and epithelial membrane antigen. In primary cultures, the cells derived from the ECT were morphologically similar to neuronal cells and expressed Nanog, GFAP, and MAP2. RT-PCR analysis of the surgical specimen was positive for OCT3/4, Sox2, Nanog, MAP2, and CD105 mRNAs.
The results of the present study indicate that ECTs originate from the ectomesenchymal cells of the neural crest and are similar in their molecular and biological characteristics to undifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the anterior tongue. Nineteen Cases of a New Clinicopathologic Entity.Am J Surg Pathol. 1995; 19: 519-530
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the anterior tongue.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1996; 82: 417-422
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the anterior tongue.J Oral Pathol Med. 1996; 25: 456-458
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the anterior tongue with myxoglobulosis-like change.Virchows Arch. 2003; 442: 302-303
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the anterior tongue.Oral Oncol. 2003; 39: 83-86
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumour of the anterior tongue.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003; 33: 404-407
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the anterior aspect of the tongue.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008; 59: s23-s24
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the anterior tongue: a rare case.Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2011; 27: 203-205
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the hard palate—a case report.J Oral Pathol Med. 2006; 35: 126-128
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor: review of literature and a report of a rare case.J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2011; 15: 74-79
- Oral ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor: case report and literature review.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 108: e20-e24
- Reticulated myxoid tumor of the tongue: 2 cases supporting an expanded clinical and immunophenotypic spectrum of ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor of the tongue.Am J Dermatopathol. 2010; 32: 660-664
- The ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor: a review.Oral Dis. 2008; 14: 390-395
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumour of the tongue.Anticancer Res. 2010; 30: 4685-4690
- Clinical, histological and immunohistochemical features of ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 108: 914-919
- Ectomesenchymal chondromyxoid tumor: histopathologic and immunohistochemical study of two cases without a chondroid omponent.J Cutan Pathol. 2012; 39: 781-786
- Myoepithelioma of the tongue.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 99: 581-589
- Oral myoepithelioma of soft tissue origin: report of a new case and literature review.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010; 110: e48-e51
- Cholesterol requirement of P3-X63-Ag8 and X63-Ag8.653 mouse myeloma cells for growth in vitro.J Exp Med. 1987; 165: 1761-1766
- Vascular endothelial cell growth factor (VEGF) produced by A-431 human epidermoid carcinoma cells and identification of VEGF membrane binding sites.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1991; 88: 5819-5823
- Release of fibroblast growth factor-1 by human squamous cell carcinoma correlates with autocrine cell growth.In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 1994; 30A: 790-795
- Determination of glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) in human brain tumors.J Neurol Sci. 1978; 35: 147-155
- Identification of cDNA clones for the human microtubule-associated protein tau and chromosomal localization of the genes for tau and microtubule-associated protein 2.Brain Res. 1986; 387: 271-280
- Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors.Cell. 2007; 131: 861-872
- Functional expression cloning of Nanog, a pluripotency sustaining factor in embryonic stem cells.Cell. 2003; 113: 643-655
- The human homolog T of the mouse T(brachyury) gene; gene structure, cDNA sequence, and assignment to chromosome 6q27.Genome Res. 1996; 6: 226-233
- The monoclonal antibody SH-2, raised against human mesenchymal stem cells, recognizes an epitope on endoglin (CD105).Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999; 265: 134-139
- Hamartomatous tongue lesions in children.Am J Surg Pathol. 2007; 31: 1186-1190
- Myoepithelioma presenting as a midline cystic tongue lesion: histology, ancillary studies, and differential diagnosis.Diagn Cytopathol. 2001; 24: 403-407
- Proliferation and pluripotency potential of ectomesenchymal cells derived from first branchial arch.Cell Prolif. 2006; 39: 79-92
Accepted: November 8, 2012
Received in revised form: November 6, 2012
Received: July 12, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.