To compare the outcome of cone beam computed tomography (CBCT)–based surgical planning and transfer technique for tooth autotransplantation versus conventional autotransplantation.
The study material comprised 40 pediatric subjects in whom 48 teeth were transplanted following a case–control design. While the study group (mean age 11 years) underwent CBCT imaging for surgical planning and transfer via stereolithographic tooth replica fabrication, the historical control group (mean age 12 years) was subjected to conventional autotransplantation.
The CBCT-based preoperative planning and the use of a tooth replica decreased the extra-alveolar time and reduced the number of positioning trials with the donor tooth. In the control group, 6 patients showed 1 or more complications, while this was noticed for only 2 study patients.
CBCT-based surgical planning of tooth autotransplantation may benefit from a shorter surgical time, while being a less invasive technique, causing fewer failures than a conventional approach.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Trauma to permanent teeth of children, aged 8, 12 and 15 years, in Ireland.J Paediatr Dent. 1988; 4: 13-16
- Prevalence and correlates of traumatic injuries to the permanent teeth of schoolchildren aged 9-14 years in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.Dent Traumatol. 2001; 17: 22-26
- Traumatic injuries to permanent anterior teeth among 12-year-old schoolchildren in Jordan.Community Dent Health. 2003; 20: 89-93
- Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries to primary and permanent teeth in a Danish population sample.Int J Oral Surg. 1972; 1: 235-239
- Classification, epideminology and etiology.in: Andreasen J. Andreasen F. Andersson L. Textbook and Color Atlas of Traumatic Injuries to the Teeth. 4th ed. Blackwell Munksgaard, Oxford2007 (217-254)
- Prevalence of incisor trauma in persons 6-50 years of age: United States, 1988-1991.J Dent Res. 1996; 75 Spec No: 696-705
- Pattern of traumatic dental injuries in the permanent dentition among children, adolescents, and adults.Dent Traumatol. 2012; 28: 358-363
- A study of traumatized permanent teeth in children 7-15 years. I.Sven Tandlak Tidskr. 1973; 66: 431-452
- Dental injuries in Copenhagen schoolchildren, school years 1967-1972.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1974; 2: 231-245
- International association of dental traumatology guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 2. Avulsion of permanent teeth.Dent Traumatol. 2012; 28: 88-96
- Using implants for the growing child.J Calif Dent Assoc. 2006; 34: 719-724
- Management of missing maxillary anterior teeth with emphasis on autotransplantation.Am J Orthod Dentofac. 2004; 126: 284-288
- Autotransplantation of teeth: requirements for predictable success.Dent Traumatol. 2002; 18: 157-180
- Tooth transplantations: a descriptive retrospective study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 34: 745-755
- A long-term study of 370 autotransplanted premolars. Part II. Tooth survival and pulp healing subsequent to transplantation.Eur J Orthod. 1990; 12: 14-24
- A long-term study of 370 autotransplanted premolars. Part III. Periodontal healing subsequent to transplantation.Eur J Orthod. 1990; 12: 25-37
- A retrospective survey of autotransplantation of teeth in dental clinics.J Oral Rehabil. 2012; 39: 37-43
- Long-term success and survival rates of autogenously transplanted canines.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010; 110: 570-578
- Outcome study of computer-aided surgical simulation in the treatment of patients with craniomaxillofacial deformities.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 69: 2014-2024
- Use of virtual 3-dimensional surgery in post-traumatic craniomaxillofacial reconstruction.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 69: 733-741
- Rapid prototyping as a tool for diagnosis and treatment planning for maxillary canine impaction.Am J Orthod Dentofac. 2006; 129: 583-589
- Application of rapid prototyping for temporomandibular joint reconstruction.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 69: 432-438
- Rapid prototyping in craniofacial surgery: using a positioning guide after zygomatic osteotomy – a case report.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2011; 39: 376-379
- Clinical application of computer-aided rapid prototyping for tooth transplantation.Dent Traumatol. 2001; 17: 114-119
- Comparison between effective radiation dose of CBCT and MSCT scanners for dentomaxillofacial applications.Eur J Radiol. 2009; 71: 461-468
- Accuracy and surgical feasibility of a CBCT-based stereolithographic surgical guide aiding autotransplantation of teeth: in vitro validation.J Oral Rehabil. 2010; 37: 854-859
- Clinical application of a stereolithographic tooth replica and surgical guide in tooth autotransplantation.Virtual Phys Prototyp. 2012; 7: 211-218
- A long-term study of 370 autotransplanted premolars. Part I. Surgical procedures and standardized techniques for monitoring healing.Eur J Orthod. 1990; 12: 3-13
- Periotest for measuring periodontal characteristics–correlation with periodontal bone loss.J Periodontal Res. 1992; 27: 184-190
- Gingival sulcus bleeding–a leading symptom in initial gingivitis.Helv Odontol Acta. 1971; 15: 107-113
- Luxation injuries of permanent teeth: general finding.in: Andreasen J. Andreasen F. Andersson L. Textbook and Color Atlas of Traumatic Injuries to the Teeth. 4th ed. Blackwell Munksgaard, Oxford2007 (372-403)
- Autotransplantation of an immature premolar, with the aid of cone beam CT and computer-aided prototyping: a case report.Dent Traumatol. 2010; 26: 195-199
- Use of a replica graft tooth for evaluation before autotransplantation of a tooth. A CAD/CAM model produced using dental-cone-beam computed tomography.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 39: 1016-1019
- Periodontal healing after replantation and autotransplantation of incisors in monkeys.Int J Oral Surg. 1981; 10: 54-61
- Autotransplantation of human premolars. A clinical and radiographic study of 100 teeth.Int J Oral Surg. 1985; 14: 200-213
- Autotransplantation of teeth: an overview.Dent Update. 2009; 36 (107-110, 113): 102-104
- Effective dose range for dental cone beam computed tomography scanners.Eur J Radiol. 2012; 81: 267-271
- Mandibular reconstruction using stereolithographic 3-dimensional printing modeling technology.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 108: 661-666
- Tooth bioengineering leads the next generation of dentistry.Int J Paediatr Dent. 2012; 22: 406-418
- Potential feasibility of dental stem cells for regenerative therapies: stem cell transplantation and whole-tooth engineering.Odontology. 2011; 99: 105-111
Accepted: January 25, 2013
Received in revised form: January 16, 2013
Received: September 16, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.