This retrospective study evaluated survival rates, prognosis, and overall success of autotransplanted teeth in young patients missing anterior teeth as a result of trauma, agenesis, or developmental disturbances.
Retrospective data were collected from the medical records of patients who had undergone tooth autotransplantations to anterior sites between January 2001 and December 2012. Clinical variables, such as gender, age, surgical indications, donor and recipient sites, type of anesthetics, bone augmentation, and complications during follow-up, were assessed.
A total of 59 donor teeth in 46 patients (30 boys and 16 girls; average age 12.15 years) were autotransplanted to the anterior region of the maxilla and mandible. After a mean follow-up period of 17.35 months (range 10-61 months), all of the transplanted teeth remained in situ with no complications.
This study supports the autotransplantation of teeth to the anterior alveolus as a viable option suitable in growing patients with missing anterior teeth.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Textbook and Color Atlas of traumatic Injuries to the Teeth.4th ed. Blackwell Munksgaard Blackwell, Copenhagen, Denmark2007
- International Association of Dental Traumatology guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 2. avulsion of permanent teeth.Dent Traumatol. 2012; 28: 88-96
- Transplantation of premolars as an approach for replacing avulsed teeth.J Pediatr Dent. 2009; 31: 129-132
- Avulsed maxillary central incisors: the case for autotransplantation.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2012; 142: 8-17
- Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries to primary and permanent teeth in a Danish population sample.Int J Oral Surg. 1972; 1: 235-239
- Root formation of an autotransplanted tooth: a case report.Dent Traumatol. 2009; 25: 341-345
- Autotransplantation of teeth: Requirements for predictable success.Dent Traumatol. 2002; 18: 157-180
- Age variation of formation stages for ten permanent teeth.J Dent Res. 1963; 42: 1490-1502
- Tooth transplantation after dental injury sequelae in children.Dent Traumatol. 2008; 24: 320-327
- Applicability of autotransplantation in cases of missing upper anterior teeth.Am J Orrhod. 1978; 74: 410-421
- Planning esthetic treatment after avulsion of maxillary incisors.JADA. 2008; 139: 1484-1490
- Developments in autotransplantation of teeth: a review.J Royal Coll Surgeons Edinburgh Royal Coll Surgeons Ireland. 2013; 11: 49-55
- Maxillary implants and the growing patient.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1993; 8: 377-387
- Dental implants, growth of the jaws and determination of skeletal maturity.Atlas Oral Maxillofac Clin North Am. 2008; 16: 1-9
- Management of non-syndromal oligodontia.Atlas Oral Maxillofac Clin North Am. 2008; 16: 11-31
- Orthodontic aspects of the use of oral implants in adolescents: a 10-year follow-up study.Eur J Orthod. 2001; 23: 715-731
- Autotransplantation of 28 premolar donor teeth in 24 orthodontic patients.Angle Orthod. 2008; 78: 12-19
- Retrospective long-term evaluation of autotransplantation of premolars to the central incisor region.Int Endo J. 2012; 45: 88-97
- Dental auto-transplantation to anterior maxillary sites.Dent Traumatol. 2011; 27: 23-29
- Autotransplantation of premolars to replace maxillary incisors: a comparison with natural incisors.Am J Orthodont Dentofac Orthoped. 2000; 118: 592-600
- Autotransplantation of premolars. A retrospective study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998; 27: 181-185
- Autotransplantation of teeth in 215 patients: a follow-up study.Angle Orthod. 2010; 80: 446-451
- Autotransplantation of human premolars: a clinical and radiographic study of 100 teeth.Int J Oral Surg. 1985; 14: 200-213
- Long-term clinical and radiologic evaluation of autotransplanted teeth.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1992; 21: 271-275
- Treatment of an avulsed maxillary permanent central incisor replaced by autotransplantation of a mandibular premolar: 14-year follow-up.Int Endod J. 2010; 43: 818-827
- Change in supporting tissue following loss of a permanent maxillary incisor in children.Dent Traumatol. 2007; 23: 328-332
- Autogenous tooth transplantation: an alternative to dental implant placement?.J Can Dent Assoc. 2001; 67: 92-96
- Preapplicaion of orthodontic forces on the donor teeth affects periodontal healing of transplanted teeth.Angle Orthod. 2008; 78: 495-501
- Root development of immature third molars transplanted to surgically created sockets.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008; 66: 1200-1211
- Mandibular third molar autotransplantation—literature review with clinical cases.J Can Dent Assoc. 2004; 70: 761-766
- Autotransplantation of teeth: is there a role?.Br J Orthod. 1998; 25: 275-282
- Tooth transplantation into the bone grafted alveolar cleft: report of two cases with histologic findings.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998; 56: 1451-1456
- Tooth transplantation to bone graft in cleft alveolus.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1987; 24: 137-141
- Autotransplantation of immature third molars: influence of different splinting methods and fixation periods.Dent Traumatol. 2002; 18: 322-328
- Effect of different splinting methods and fixation periods on root development of autotransplanted immature third molars.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 63: 304-310
- Healing of periodontal tissues following transplantation of cells in a rat orthodontic tooth movement model.Angle Orthod. 2008; 78: 826-831
- Tooth transplantations: a descriptive retrospective study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 34: 745-755
Published online: June 29, 2016
Accepted: June 17, 2016
Received in revised form: May 19, 2016
Received: March 16, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.