Malignant transformation of oral premalignant lesions is the key process in the progression to oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC). Previously, we identified miR-7 and miR-21 as candidate oncogenes and miR-375 and miR-494 as candidate tumor suppressors in OSCC. We aim to evaluate these microRNAs as biomarkers of malignant transformation in oral premalignant lesions.
Formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded samples from progressive premalignant lesions and paired sequential OSCC tumors at the same site were obtained from same patients (n = 31). Total RNA was extracted and analyzed for microRNA levels using real-time polymerase chain reaction.
MiR-375 expression in progressive lesions was clearly lower than in nonprogressive control lesions (average eightfold difference, P = .0004). Furthermore, the expression of miR-375 decreased significantly after the progression from premalignant lesion to OSCC (P < .0001). Receiver operating characteristic curve analysis revealed that miR-375 was able to differentiate between progressive and nonprogressive premalignant lesions (P < .0001).
MiR-375 downregulation in oral premalignant lesions is associated with a higher risk of malignant transformation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnostic aids for detection of oral precancerous conditions.Int J Oral Sci. 2013; 5: 59-65
- Cancer statistics, 2016.CA Cancer J Clin. 2016; 66: 7-30
- Recurrent genomic alterations in sequential progressive leukoplakia and oral cancer: drivers of oral tumorigenesis?.Hum Mol Genet. 2014; 23: 2618-2628
- DeltaNp63 overexpression, alone and in combination with other biomarkers, predicts the development of oral cancer in patients with leukoplakia.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 6284-6291
- Prognostic value of DNA ploidy status in patients with oral leukoplakia.Oral Oncol. 2011; 47: 956-960
- MicroRNA in TLR signaling and endotoxin tolerance.Cell Mol Immunol. 2011; 8: 388-403
- MicroRNAs in systemic rheumatic diseases.Arthritis Res Ther. 2011; 13: 229
- MicroRNAs in rheumatoid arthritis.FEBS Lett. 2011; 585: 3667-3674
- Genetic variation in MicroRNA genes and risk of oral premalignant lesions.Mol Carcinog. 2010; 49: 183-189
- Most mammalian mRNAs are conserved targets of microRNAs.Genome Res. 2009; 19: 92-105
- MicroRNA expression profiles associated with mutational status and survival in malignant melanoma.J Invest Dermatol. 2010; 130: 2062-2070
- Survival prediction of gastric cancer by a seven-microRNA signature.Gut. 2010; 59: 579-585
- MicroRNA-21 in pancreatic cancer: correlation with clinical outcome and pharmacologic aspects underlying its role in the modulation of gemcitabine activity.Cancer Res. 2010; 70: 4528-4538
- MicroRNA and cancer—a brief overview.Adv Biol Regul. 2015; 57: 1-9
- miR-21: a small multi-faceted RNA.J Cell Mol Med. 2009; 13: 39-53
- High levels of microRNA-21 in the stroma of colorectal cancers predict short disease-free survival in stage II colon cancer patients.Clin Exp Metastasis. 2011; 28: 27-38
- Identification of a microRNA signature associated with progression of leukoplakia to oral carcinoma.Hum Mol Genet. 2009; 18: 4818-4829
- Keratinization-associated miR-7 and miR-21 regulate tumor suppressor reversion-inducing cysteine-rich protein with kazal motifs (RECK) in oral cancer.J Biol Chem. 2012; 287: 29261-29272
- Tumor suppressor miR-375 regulates MYC expression via repression of CIP2 A coding sequence through multiple miRNA-mRNA interactions.Mol Biol Cell. 2013; 24 (S1-S7): 1638-1648
- miR-494 represses HOXA10 expression and inhibits cell proliferation in oral cancer.Oral Oncol. 2015; 51: 151-157
- The emerging role of miR-375 in cancer.Int J Cancer. 2014; 135: 1011-1018
- Dysregulation of miR-31 and miR-375 expression is associated with clinical outcomes in oral carcinoma.Oral Dis. 2014; 20: 345-351
- Natural history of potentially malignant oral lesions and conditions: an overview of the literature.J Oral Pathol Med. 2008; 37: 1-10
- Molecular genetics of premalignant oral lesions.Oral Dis. 2007; 13: 126-133
- Potentially malignant disorders of the oral cavity: current practice and future directions in the clinic and laboratory.Int J Cancer. 2015; 136: 503-515
- Prognosis of oral pre-malignant lesions: significance of clinical, histopathological, and molecular biological characteristics.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2003; 14: 47-62
- MicroRNAs as promising biomarkers in cancer diagnostics.Biomark Res. 2014; 2: 19
- MicroRNA analysis as a potential diagnostic tool for papillary thyroid carcinoma.Mod Pathol. 2008; 21: 1139-1146
- MicroRNA-21 gene and cancer.Med Oncol. 2013; 30: 376
- Targeting miR-21 for the therapy of pancreatic cancer.Mol Ther. 2013; 21: 986-994
- MicroRNA-21 promotes oral cancer invasion via the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway by targeting DKK2.Pathol Oncol Res. 2014; 20: 253-261
- Oncomirs—microRNAs with a role in cancer.Nat Rev Cancer. 2006; 6: 259-269
- MiR-375 frequently downregulated in gastric cancer inhibits cell proliferation by targeting JAK2.Cell Res. 2010; 20: 784-793
- miR-375 suppresses IGF1 R expression and contributes to inhibition of cell progression in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma.Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014: 374598
- miR-375 is down-regulated in squamous cervical cancer and inhibits cell migration and invasion via targeting transcription factor SP1.Am J Pathol. 2011; 179: 2580-2588
- Decreased circulating miR-375: a potential biomarker for patients with non-small-cell lung cancer.Gene. 2014; 534: 60-65
- Prognostic impact of circulating miR-21 and miR-375 in plasma of patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2012; 12: S53-S59
- Low-level expression of miR-375 correlates with poor outcome and metastasis while altering the invasive properties of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas.Am J Pathol. 2012; 180: 917-928
- Induction of cellular senescence by doxorubicin is associated with upregulated miR-375 and induction of autophagy in K562 cells.PLoS One. 2012; 7
- miR-375 activates p21 and suppresses telomerase activity by coordinately regulating HPV E6/E7, E6 AP, CIP2 A, and 14-3-3 zeta.Mol Cancer. 2014; 13: 80
- Anti-cancer drugs reactivate tumor suppressor miR-375 expression in tongue cancer cells.J Cell Biochem. 2015; 116: 836-843
Published online: August 06, 2016
Accepted: July 27, 2016
Received in revised form: July 25, 2016
Received: June 7, 2016
This study was funded by the University of Florida institutional funds, Andrew J. Semesco Foundation, Ocala, Florida, USA; UMM ALQURA University, Saudi Arabia; and Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission to the United States.
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.