Metastases from oral squamous cell carcinoma usually occur in the cervical lymph nodes. Distant skeletal muscle metastases are exceedingly rare and have been reported only in sporadic cases. A 70-year-old male patient was diagnosed with nonmetastatic oral squamous cell carcinoma (pT4a, N0, M0). The patient underwent successful surgical treatment involving tumor resection and selective neck dissection of both sides, including adjuvant radiotherapy. After 3 years of uneventful course, with no clinical or radiographic evidence for local recurrence or metastasis, an isolated distant metastasis in the gluteal muscles was diagnosed. The patient died 7 months after diagnosis despite further surgical resection and adjuvant chemotherapy. Distant metastases are mostly accompanied by systemic spread of tumor cells. Thus, the prognosis is generally very poor. The therapeutic concept of surgical tumor resection and adjuvant chemotherapy failed to significantly improve the patient's prognosis in the present case.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- An analysis of cervical lymph nodes metastasis in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Relationship between grade of histopathological malignancy and lymph nodes metastasis.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003; 32: 284-288
- Distant muscular (gluteus maximus muscle) metastasis from laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma.Acta Otolaryngol. 2005; 125: 678-682
- Predictive factors for distant metastasis from oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.Oral Oncol. 2005; 41: 534-541
- Distant metastases from head and neck squamous cell carcinomas.Laryngoscope. 1994; 104: 1199-1205
- Incidence and sites of distant metastases from head and neck cancer.ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2001; 63: 202-207
- An analysis of distant metastases from squamous cell carcinoma of the upper respiratory and digestive tracts.Cancer. 1977; 40: 145-151
- Multiple distant metastasis of tongue squamous cell carcinoma after surgical operation and radiotherapy—a case report and literature review.Chinese-German J Clin Oncol. 2010; 9: 669-673
- Distant metastases of a squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue in peripheral skeletal muscles and adjacent soft tissues.Head Face Med. 2008; 4: 7
- Paravertebral muscle metastases from primary tongue and nasopharyngeal carcinomas.Clin Radiol. 1991; 43: 400-401
- Development of distant metastasis after treatment of advanced-stage head and neck cancer.Head Neck. 1997; 19: 500-505
- Skeletal muscle metastases: primary tumours, prevalence, and radiological features.Eur Radiol. 2010; 20: 649-658
- Metastasis of laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma to bilateral thigh muscles.Case Rep Oncol Med. 2014; 2014424568
- Paucity of muscle metastasis in otherwise widely disseminated cancer: a conundrum.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 89: 931-935
- An unusual metastatic site of tongue carcinoma: Shoulder muscles.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2008; 35: 443-446
- An unusual metastasis of a transglottic squamous cell carcinoma to the forearm.Case Rep Oncol Med. 2013; 2013: 1-3
- Recurrent local advanced hypopharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma with isolated quadriceps femoralis metastasis.Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2014; 30: 589-590
- Isolated skeletal muscle metastasis following successful treatment of laryngeal cancer: case report.Int Semin Surg Oncol. 2010; 7: 1
Korkmaz H, Dursun E, Saylam G, Akmansu M, Eryilmaz A. Case report: an unusual metastatic pattern of larynx cancer: the forearm. KBB-Forum. 2007;6:26–29.
- Distant muscular (rectus femoris) metastasis from laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma.J Laryngol Otol. 2009; 123: 1381-1383
- Gluteus medius muscle metastasis of squamous cell carcinoma of larynx: a rare case.Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2017 Apr 29; (pii: S1808-8694(17)30053–8. [Epub ahead of print])
- An unusual metastatic site of laryngeal carcinoma: scapular muscles.J Laryngol Otol. 2003; 117: 85-87
- Screening for distant metastases in patients with head and neck cancer.Laryngoscope. 2000; 110: 397-401
- Positron emission tomography/computerized tomography (PET/CT) scanning for preoperative staging of patients with oral/head and neck cancer.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 65: 2524-2535
- Platinum-based chemotherapy plus cetuximab in head and neck cancer.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1116-1127
Published online: August 31, 2018
Accepted: August 22, 2018
Received in revised form: August 15, 2018
Received: May 5, 2018
The study presented here was conducted in accordance with the ethical standards of the Ethics Committee of the University of Tübingen, Germany, and with the tenets of the Helsinki Declaration of 1975, as revised in 2008.
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.