The aim of this study was to demonstrate the imaging characteristics of gubernacular canals (GCs) in impacted/unerupted permanent teeth and to determine whether these characteristics differ as a result of the presence of eruption disturbances or pathologic conditions associated with impacted/unerupted teeth.
GCs were retrospectively analyzed by using cone beam computed tomography in 250 patients with 753 impacted/unerupted permanent teeth (105 males, 145 females; mean age, 21.09 ± 14.45 years; range 6–70 years).
The rate of detection of GCs was significantly lower in cases with eruption disturbances than in those without eruption disturbances. An inverse correlation was observed between age and detection of GCs. Similarly, root resorption of adjacent teeth and resorption of impacted/unerupted teeth were associated with lower rates of detection of GCs. However, no association was found for widening of the follicular space. Regression analysis determined disturbed eruption pattern as the most important factor for the absence of GCs.
The absence of GC may indicate a disturbed eruption pattern of the tooth and may increase the risk of complications related to impaction resulting in a tooth that is more likely to remain unerupted.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Histology and function of the dental gubernacular cord.Angle Orthod. 1971; 41: 300-307
- Tooth eruption: evidence for the central role of the dental follicle.J Oral Pathol. 1980; 9: 189-200
- The gubernaculum dentis.Dent Pract Dent Rec. 1971; 21: 423-428
- The development and function of the dental follicle.Br Dent J. 1948; 85: 193-199
- Scott JH Symons NBB Introduction to Dental Anatomy. 6th ed. E. & S. Livingstone, Edinburgh and London1971: 99-105
- Characteristics of the gubernaculum tracts in mesiodens and maxillary anterior teeth with delayed eruption on MDCT and CBCT.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2016; 122: 511-516
- Detection and imaging characteristics of the gubernaculums tract in children on cone beam and multi-detector CT.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2015; 120: e109-e117
- Development and growth of adenomatoid odontogenic tumor related to formation and eruption of teeth.Head Neck Pathol. 2011; 5: 123-132
- A spatial association between odontomas and the gubernaculum tracts.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2016; 121: 91-95
- Eruption disturbances of mandibular permanent incisors.J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2001; 25: 181-185
- Intrabony migration of impacted teeth.Angle Orthod. 2003; 73 (discussion 744): 738-743
- Unerupted and displaced teeth in CT-scan.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1989; 18: 184-186
- How a computerized tomography examination changed the treatment plans of 80 children with retained and ectopically positioned maxillary canines.Angle Orthod. 2006; 76: 43-51
- Imaging of unerupted and displaced teeth by cross-sectional CT scans.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1995; 24: 413-416
- The incidence of unerupted permanent teeth and related clinical cases.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1985; 59: 420-425
- Cone beam computed tomography: a useful tool in orthodontic diagnosis and treatment planning.J Orthod. 2009; 36: 202-210
- Occlusal guidance for eruption disturbance of mandibular second premolar: a report of three cases.J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2003; 27: 101-105
- Eruption disturbances of permanent molars: a review.J Oral Pathol Med. 1991; 20: 159-166
- Principles of Exodontia as Applied to the Impacted Third Molar.American Medical Book Company, St. Louis, MO1926
- A review of 47 cases of unerupted maxillary incisors.Int J Paediatr Dent. 1999; 9: 285-292
- The use of spiral computed tomography in the localization of impacted maxillary canines.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 1997; 26: 236-241
- Radiographic examination of ectopically erupting maxillary canines.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1987; 91: 483-492
- Eruption ages of permanent teeth.Aust Dent J. 1962; 7: 367-373
- The chronology and sequence of eruption of human permanent teeth in Northern Ireland.Int J Paediatr Dent. 1998; 8: 243-252
- Impact of voxel size variation on CBCT-based diagnostic outcome in dentistry: a systematic review.J Digit Imaging. 2013; 26: 813-820
- Comparison of the influence of FOV sizes and different voxel resolutions for the assessment of periodontal defects.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2015; 4420150070
- Influence of scan setting selections on root canal visibility with cone beam CT.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2012; 41: 645-648
- Comparative analysis between dental, skeletal and chronological age.Revista Mexicana de Ortodoncia. 2013; 1: e33-e37
- Delayed tooth eruption: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. A literature review.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004; 126: 432-445
- Eruption disturbances in Japanese children and adolescents.Ped Dent J. 2006; 16: 50-56
- Pathological changes related to long-term impaction of third molars: a radiographic study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1989; 18: 210-212
- The dental follicle in normally and ectopically erupting maxillary canines: a computed tomography study.Angle Orthod. 2001; 71: 333-342
- Resorption of embedded teeth.J Am Dent Assoc. 1945; 32: 1003-1009
- Intracoronal radiolucencies within unerupted teeth. Case report and review of literature.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1990; 70: 214-220
- Resorption of the crown in impacted maxillary canine. A clinical, radiographic and histologic study.Int J Oral Surg. 1978; 7: 167-171
Published online: October 26, 2018
Accepted: September 6, 2018
Received in revised form: August 19, 2018
Received: March 1, 2018
This work was supported by the Scientific Research Projects Coordination Unit, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey [TBI-2017-13456].
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.