One of the treatment goals for osteonecrotic lesions of the jaw, such as medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (MRONJ) or osteoradionecrosis (ORN), is restoration of quality of life (QOL). This study aimed to identify symptoms that negatively affect QOL in patients with unhealed MRONJ or ORN.
This cross-sectional study included patients who were previously diagnosed with MRONJ or ORN and who underwent treatment at the Kobe University Hospital between June 2015 and February 2016. Patient QOL was measured by using the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14). The predictor variable was disease status (stage and healing). The outcome variable was OHIP-14. One-way analysis of variance and Tukey’s test were performed.
The study included 74 patients (37 men and 37 women; mean age 70 years). Although there was no significant difference between the OHIP-14 scores of unhealed MRONJ and ORN (stages 1–3) and those of healed ones, the “worsened sense of taste” resulted in significant differences among stages in patients with unhealed MRONJ (P = .027) and the “painful mouth aching” in patients with unhealed ORN (P = .041).
Worsened sense of taste and pain negatively affected QOL in patients with unhealed MRONJ and ORN.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnosis and management of osteonecrosis of the jaw: a systematic review and international consensus.J Bone Miner Res. 2015; 30: 3-23
- The management of osteoradionecrosis of the jaws—a review.Surgeon. 2015; 13: 101-109
- Incidence and prevention of osteoradionecrosis after dental extraction in irradiated patients: a systematic review.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 40: 229-243
- Medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: definition and best practice for prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2019; 127: 117-135
- Quality of life after management of advanced osteoradionecrosis of the mandible.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013; 42: 1121-1128
- Quality of life in breast cancer patients with bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws and patients with head and neck cancer: a comparative study using the EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-HN35 questionnaires.Anticancer Res. 2012; 32: 3527-3534
- Quality of life implications of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw.Oncologist. 2011; 16: 121-132
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons position paper on medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw—2014 update.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 72: 1938-1956
- Management of mandibular osteoradionecrosis corresponding to the severity of osteoradionecrosis and the method of radiotherapy.Head Neck. 2003; 25: 181-186
- The impact of oral rehabilitation on oral health-related quality of life in patients receiving radiotherapy for the treatment of head and neck cancer.Clin Oral Investig. 2017; 21: 1123-1130
- Derivation and validation of a short-form oral health impact profile.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1997; 25: 284-290
- Impact of dry mouth and hyposalivation on oral health-related quality of life of elderly Japanese.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 103: 216-222
- Surgical management of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw is associated with improved disease resolution: a retrospective cohort study.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 77: 1816-1822
- Oral and general health-related quality of life in patients treated for oral cancer compared to control group.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2015; 13: 9
- Neuropathic pain in maxillofacial osteonecrosis.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000; 58: 1003-1020
- Association between pain severity and clinicohistopathologic findings in the mandibular canal and inferior alveolar nerve of patients with advanced mandibular osteoradionecrosis.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2018; 126: 264-271
- Paradigm shifts in the management of osteoradionecrosis of the mandible.Oral Oncol. 2010; 46: 795-801
Dissard A, P Dang N, Barthelemy I, et al. Efficacy of pentoxifylline-tocopherol-clodronate in mandibular osteoradionecrosis. Laryngoscope. 2019 Nov 20. doi: 10.1002/lary.28399. [Epub ahead of print]
- Is there a role for pentoxifylline and tocopherol in the management of advanced osteoradionecrosis of the jaws with pathological fractures? Case reports and review of the literature.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 48: 1022-1027
- Osteoradionecrosis: a review of pathophysiology, prevention and pharmacologic management using pentoxifylline, α-tocopherol, and clodronate.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2017; 124: 464-471
- Halitology (breath odour): aetiopathogenesis and management).Oral Dis. 2012; 18: 333-345
- Halitosis: prevalence, risk factors, sources, measurement and treatment—a review of the literature.Aust Dent J. 2020; 65: 4-11
- Oral health-related quality of life in women with temporomandibular joint disk anterior displacement before and after disk repositioning and anchoring surgery assessed with the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14).Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2019; 128: 112-116
Published online: May 31, 2020
Accepted: March 31, 2020
Received in revised form: March 4, 2020
Received: January 7, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.