This study aimed to evaluate postoperative changes in the condyle after unilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy (USSRO) and to compare them with changes occurring after bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy (BSSRO).
For 50 condyles from 25 patients, positional and volumetric changes of condyle were analyzed by using computed tomography images taken before, immediately after, and 6 months after surgery and compared between the USRRO and BSSRO groups.
The condyle showed lateral and inferior displacement immediately after surgery and medial and superior movement at 6 months after surgery in the USSRO and BSSRO groups. No statistically significant difference was found between the 2 groups in the time-course positional change and rotation of the condyle. In the comparison of bodily shift and rotation between operated and nonoperated sides in USSRO group, there were no significant differences between the 2 sides, except for the perioperative rotation pattern on the coronal plane. At 6 months after surgery, the changed volume relative to preoperative condylar volume was only 5.2% in the USSRO group and 2.7% in the BSSRO group.
The findings from this study suggest that USSRO can be used effectively in appropriately selected patients; however, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) problems may arise when condylar displacement is excessive enough to exceed physiologic tolerances.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Facial asymmetry: etiology, evaluation, and management.Chang Gung Med J. 2011; 34: 341-351
- Change in condylar position in posterior bending osteotomy minimizing condylar torque in BSSRO for facial asymmetry.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2014; 42: 325-332
- Unilateral sagittal split mandibular ramus osteotomy: indications and geometry.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 54: 219-223
- Unilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy: an alternative for some cases of asymmetric mandibular prognathism.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018; 47: 630-637
- Condylar positioning changes following unilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy in patients with mandibular prognathism.Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015; 37: 36
- Stability of unilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy for correction of facial asymmetry: long-term case series and literature review.J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 41: 156-164
- Intraoperative diagnosis of condylar sag after bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2002; 40: 285-292
- Condylar resorption and functional outcome after unilateral sagittal split osteotomy.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011; 112: 315-321
- Control of the condylar-proximal mandibular segments after sagittal split osteotomies to advance the mandible.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1986; 62: 613-617
- The role of a posteriorly inclined condylar neck in condylar resorption after orthognathic surgery.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2000; 28: 85-90
- Relapse after rigid fixation of mandibular advancement.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1986; 44: 698-702
- Condylar position following mandibular advancement: its relationship to relapse.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1984; 42: 578-588
- Modification of the mandibular ramus sagittal split osteotomy.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1987; 64: 146-155
- Three-dimensional mandibular change after sagittal split ramus osteotomy with a semirigid sliding plate system for fixation of a mandibular setback surgery.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013; 115: 157-166
- 3 D analysis of condylar remodelling and skeletal relapse following bilateral sagittal split advancement osteotomies.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015; 43: 462-468
- Statistical Methods for Medical and Biological Students.G. Allen & Unwin Ltd., London, UK1940
- Three-dimensional evaluation of positional change of the condyle after mandibular setback by means of bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002; 94: 305-309
- Is there any difference in the condylar position and angulation after asymmetric mandibular setback?.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006; 101: 155-163
- Horizontal changes in the condylar head after sagittal split ramus osteotomy with bent plate fixation.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008; 106: 656-661
- Three-dimensional analysis of postoperative returning movement of perioperative condylar displacement after bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy for mandibular setback with different fixation methods.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015; 43: 1918-1925
- The assessment of the short- and long-term changes in the condylar position following sagittal split ramus osteotomy (SSRO) with rigid fixation.J Oral Rehabil. 2010; 37: 262-270
- Stabilisation of sagittal split advancement osteotomies with miniplates: a prospective, multicentre study with two-year follow-up. Part III—condylar remodelling and resorption.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 33: 649-655
- Surgical management of mandibular malposition after malunited condylar fractures in adults.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1997; 25: 91-96
- Effect of post-orthognathic surgery condylar axis changes on condylar morphology as determined by 3-dimensional surface reconstruction.Angle Orthod. 2014; 84: 316-321
- Sagittal splitting of the mandibular ramus. Electromyography and radiologic follow-up study of temporomandibular joint function in 44 patients.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg. 1979; 13: 437-443
- Radiography of the temporomandibular joint after oblique sliding osteotomy of the mandibular rami.Scand J Dent Res. 1974; 82: 466-469
- Condylar head remodeling compensating for condylar head displacement by orthognathic surgery.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2019; 47: 406-413
- Condylar head remodeling following mandibular setback osteotomy for prognathism: a comparative study of different imaging modalities.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006; 101: 505-514
Published online: July 13, 2020
Accepted: June 11, 2020
Received in revised form: April 17, 2020
Received: December 9, 2019
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.