Intraosseous ameloblastoma manifesting as an exophytic soft tissue lesion with minimal bone involvement is rare and its challenging diagnosis. Differential diagnoses and the relevance of distinguishing between intraosseous ameloblastoma with soft tissue involvement and peripheral ameloblastoma with bone resorption, as different treatments apply, are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Vazifeh Mostaan L. Oral verrucous carcinoma and ameloblastoma: a rare coincidence.Iran J Otorhinolaryngol. 2015; 27: 159-163
- Verrucous carcinoma arising from a previous cystic lesion: a case report.Maxillofac Plastic Reconstr Surg. 2018; 40: 31
- Intraosseous verrucous carcinoma arising from an orthokeratinized odontogenic keratocyst: a report of a rarest entity.Contemp Clin Dent. 2016; 7: 416-419
- Ameloblastic carcinoma: clinicopathological analysis of 18 cases and a systematic review.Head & Neck. 2019; 41: 4191-4198
- Odontogenic tumours: a retrospective study of 1642 cases in a Chinese population.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 36: 20-25
- Ameloblastic carcinoma: an analysis of 6 cases with review of the literature.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 108: 904-913
- Calcifying epithelial odontogenic tumor: a case series spanning 25 years and review of the literature.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2021; 131: 684-693
- Peripheral and central aggressive form of Pindborg tumor of mandible - a rare case report.J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2013; 3: 154-158
- Central dentinogenic ghost cell tumor: an update on a rare aggressive odontogenic tumor.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74: 307-314
- Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2018; 126: e215-e219
- Oral cavity and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma—an update.CA Cancer J Clin. 2015; 65: 401-421
- Squamous cell carcinoma and precursor lesions of the oral cavity: epidemiology and aetiology.Periodontol 2000. 2011; 57: 19-37
- WHO Classification of Head and Neck Tumours.4th ed. Lyon IARC Press, Lyon (France):2017
- Carcinoma cuniculatum of mandible masquerading as odontogenic keratocyst: challenges in the histopathological diagnosis.Head Neck Pathol. 2021; 15: 1313-1321
- Peripheral ameloblastoma: biological profile based on 160 cases from the literature.Oral Oncol. 2001; 37: 17-27
- Peripheral ameloblastoma of the maxilla: a case report and literature review.Am J Otolaryngol. 2008; 29: 357-360
- Update from the 5th edition of the World Health Organization classification of head and neck tumors: odontogenic and maxillofacial bone tumours.Head Neck Pathol. 2022; 16: 63-75
- Ameloblastoma: current etiopathological concepts and management.Oral Dis. 2018; 24: 307-316
- Intraosseous ameloblastoma masquerading as exophytic growth: a case report.Imaging Sci Dent. 2011; 41: 89-93
- Radical vs conservative treatment of intraosseous ameloblastoma: systematic review and meta-analysis.Oral Dis. 2019; 25: 1683-1696
- Central ameloblastoma with a peripheral ameloblastoma-like component: a case report.Iran J Med Sci. 2014; 39: 480-483
- Ameloblastoma masquerading as gingival enlargement: a case report with unusual presentation.J Oral Maxillofac Surg Med Pathol. 2015; 27: 588-591
- Intraosseous ameloblastoma with a prominent extraosseous component: pitfalls in diagnosis.Head Neck Pathol. 2010; 4: 192-197
- A case of ameloblastoma presenting as an exophytic gingival lesion.J Periodontol. 1990; 61: 378-381
Published online: August 17, 2022
Accepted: August 10, 2022
Received in revised form: July 26, 2022
Received: May 16, 2022
A.A.S. Costa and T.S. Tavares contributed equally, and therefore share the first authorship of this paper.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.