The recent trend favors the open reduction and internal fixation of condylar fractures to prevent long-term consequences. Nonendoscopic intraoral approach is an option for management without a visible scar. The purpose of this systematic review was to explore the evidence, armamentarium, methods of reduction and fixation, challenges, and complications.
We have systematically reviewed published articles on the intraoral approach for condylar fracture management following the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses guidelines. The search was conducted in PubMed, Google Scholar, Semantic Scholar, and Cochrane library database, to find relevant articles from January 1980 to March 2022. Descriptive statistics were applied to obtain the results.
Finally, 23 studies were included. The incision described for the intraoral approach was similar to sagittal split osteotomy in all studies. A wide array of specialized instruments, methods, and challenges has been outlined for visualization, reduction, and fixation. The incidence of complications in the entire review was 23% (72/306).
The challenges encountered in the nonendoscopic intraoral approach for condylar fracture management can be negated with the use of specialized instruments and with experience. However, further research is warranted for a specialized set of miniature instruments to ease the procedure, make it time-efficient and optimize hardware selection.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A comparison of open and closed treatment of condylar fractures: a change in philosophy.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2001; 30: 384-389
- Fractures of the mandibular condyle. Part 1: patterns of distribution of types and causes of fractures in 348 patients.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000; 38: 417-421
- Treatment of mandibular condylar process fractures: biological considerations.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 63: 115-134
- Fractures of the mandibular condyle: a review of 466 cases. Literature review, reflections on treatment and proposals.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2006; 34: 421-432
- Does the surgical approach for treating mandibular condylar fractures affect the rate of seventh cranial nerve injuries? A systematic review and meta-analysis based on a new classification for surgical approaches.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2018; 46: 398-412
- Surgical complications with open treatment of mandibular condylar process fractures.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000; 58: 950-958
- A new operation for displaced fractures at the neck of the mandibular condyle.Dent Cosm. 1925; 67: 876-877
- Endoscopy-assisted open treatment of condylar fractures of the mandible: extraoral vs intraoral approach.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2002; 31: 237-243
- Outcomes of the nonendoscopic transoral approach to subcondylar mandible fractures.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2022; 80: 114
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration.BMJ. 2009; 339
- Open reduction and rigid internal fixation of mandibular condylar fractures by an intraoral approach: a long-term follow-up study of 15 patients.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006; 64: 1771-1779
- Use of an occlusal splint and intraoperative imaging with an intraoral approach in the management of mandibular subcondylar fractures.J Cranio Maxillofac Surg. 2020; 48: 751-755
- Treatment of condylar fractures with an intraoral approach using an angulated screwdriver: results of a multicentre study.J Cranio Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 43: 34-42
- Comparison of various approaches for the treatment of fractures of the mandibular condylar process.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2012; 40: 397-401
- Management of subcondylar fracture through intraoral approach with rigid internal fixation.J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2011; 10: 209-215
- Transoral open reduction with rigid internal fixation for subcondylar fractures of the mandible using a small angulated screwdriver system: is endoscopic assistance necessary?.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 69: 372-384
- Intraoral open reduction with rigid internal fixation of mandibular subcondylar fractures.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1988; 46: 1113-1116
- Transoral osteosynthesis at the mandibular ramus and subcondyle using angular screwing instrument and biodegradable miniplate system.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 1041-1043
- Open reduction and internal rigid fixation of subcondylar fractures via an intraoral approach.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1991; 71: 257-261
- Intraoral approach for treatment of displaced condylar fractures: case report.Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2011; 4: 107-112
- Transoral open reduction for subcondylar fractures of the mandible using an angulated screwdriver system.Ann Plast Surg. 2015; 75: 295-301
- Transoral miniplate osteosynthesis of condylar neck fractures.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endodontol. 1999; 88: 534-543
- Transoral osteosynthesis of subcondylar fractures of the mandible using a fenestrated Levassier-Merrill retractor.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 69: 2006-2011
- A transcoronoidal approach of fractures of the condylar neck.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1990; 18: 348-351
- Transoral vs. extraoral approach in the treatment of condylar neck fractures.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015; 43: 224-231
- Simultaneous surgery for subcondylar fracture and prominent angle of the mandible.Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015; 37: 1-4
- Clinical results of two different three-dimensional titanium plates in the treatment of condylar neck and base fractures: a retrospective study.J CraniomMaxillofac Surg. 2020; 48: 756-764
- Axial “anchor” screw (lag screw with biconcave washer) or “slanted-screw” plate for osteosynthesis of fractures of the mandibular condylar process.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1992; 20: 348-353
- Resorbable poly-L-lactide plates and screws for the treatment of mandibular condylar process fractures: a clinical and radiologic follow-up study.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 919-924
- A case of surgical treatment of mandibular condylar fracture with facial nerve paralysis.J Oral Maxillofac Surg Med Pathol. 2016; 28: 324-327
- Management of sub-condylar and angle of mandible fracture by a trans-buccal trocar along with an intra-oral approach.Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020; 72: 538-544
- A new method of intra-oral open reduction using a screw applied through the mandibular crest of condylar fractures.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1989; 17: 16-23
- The comprehensive AOCMF classification system: condylar process fractures – level 3 tutorial.Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2014; 7: S044-S058
- Open versus closed reduction of adult mandibular condyle fractures: a review of the literature regarding the evolution of current thoughts on management.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003; 61: 1324-1332
- Surgical treatment of adult mandibular condylar fractures provides better outcomes than closed treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 73: 482-493
- Occlusal results after open or closed treatment of fractures of the mandibular condylar process.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000; 58: 260-268
- Surgical sequence of reduction in double mandibular fractures treatment.Ann Ital Chir. 2014; 85: 207-213
- Evaluation of surgical treatment in mandibular condyle fractures.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2012; 40: 647-653
- Rigid fixation of mandibular condyle fractures.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1993; 76: 6-15
- Treatment of patients with double unilateral fractures of the mandible.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 65: 1461-1469
- Subunit principles in midface fractures: the importance of sagittal buttresses, soft-tissue reductions, and sequencing treatment of segmental fractures.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 103: 1287-1306
- A comparative study of intraoral versus retromandibular approach in the management of subcondylar fracture.BMC Surg. 2019; 19: 1-8
- Photoelastic analysis of bone deformation in the region of the mandibular condyle during mastication.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2002; 30: 160-169
- Comparative evaluation of ten different condylar base fracture osteosynthesis techniques.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 48: 527-531
- Comparative evaluation of clinical outcomes using delta plates and conventional miniplates for internal fixation of mandibular condylar fractures in adults.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018; 76: 1255-1266
Published online: September 08, 2022
Accepted: September 1, 2022
Received in revised form: August 4, 2022
Received: June 8, 2022
Ragavi Alagarsamy and Babu Lal are the co-first authors and contributed equally.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.