Sporadic central giant cell granulomas of the jaws (GCGJ) are often solitary lesions, characterized by KRAS, FGFR1, and TRPV4 somatic mutations. Multifocal lesions may occur and are associated with hyperparathyroidism or underlying syndromes such as cherubism, which is marked by SH3BP2 mutations, and RASopathies, which are caused by mutations in the FGFR-RAS-RAF-MEK-ERK signaling cascade. The diagnosis of multiple GCGJ can be challenging. The present case reports a 14-year-old boy with multiple central GCGJ and no obvious syndromic trait. Sanger sequencing-based analysis revealed wild-type sequences for SH3BP2 (exon 9), KRAS (exons 2-4), and FGFR1 (exons 9 and 10) genes. A rare TRPV4 somatic mutation (p.Val708Met) was detected in the lesion on the right side of the mandible, whereas the other tumor and the normal oral mucosa revealed wild-type TRPV4 sequences. This report expands the spectrum of TRPV4 somatic mutations in central GCGJ.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Multiple versus solitary giant cell lesions of the jaw: similar or distinct entities?.Bone. 2021; 149115935
- Mutations in the gene encoding c-Abl-binding protein SH3BP2 cause cherubism.Nat Genet. 2001; 28: 125-126
- Cherubism: a systematic literature review of clinical and molecular aspects.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2021; 50: 43-53
- TRPV4 and KRAS and FGFR1 gain-of-function mutations drive giant cell lesions of the jaw.Nat Commun. 2018; 9: 4572
- Making sense of giant cell lesions of the jaws (GCLJ): lessons learned from next-generation sequencing.J Pathol. 2020; 250: 126-133
- A novel mutation of the SH3BP2 gene in an aggressive case of cherubism.Oral Oncol. 2008; 44: 153-155
- Novel mutations in the SH3BP2 gene associated with sporadic central giant cell lesions and cherubism.Oral Dis. 2009; 15: 106-110
- The puzzle of TRPV4 channelopathies.EMBO Rep. 2013; 14: 152-163
- De novo TRPV4 Leu619Pro variant causes a new channelopathy characterised by giant cell lesions of the jaws and skull, skeletal abnormalities and polyneuropathy.J Med Genet. 2022; 59: 305-312
- TRPV4 mutations causing mixed neuropathy and skeletal phenotypes result in severe gain of function.Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2022; 9: 375-391
- Cryo-EM and X-ray structures of TRPV4 reveal insight into ion permeation and gating mechanisms.Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2018; 25: 252-260
- Inhibition of the cation channel TRPV4 improves bladder function in mice and rats with cyclophosphamide-induced cystitis.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010; 107: 19084-19089
- Clinical pharmacokinetics, safety, and tolerability of a novel, first-in-class TRPV4 ion channel inhibitor, GSK2798745, in healthy and heart failure subjects.Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2019; 19: 335-342
Published online: October 20, 2022
Accepted: October 16, 2022
Received in revised form: September 24, 2022
Received: August 4, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.