The aim of the present study was to investigate the role of SNAIL1, E-cadherin, and N-cadherin immunoexpression in oral tongue carcinogenesis. In addition, we evaluated in vitro the impact of silencing of the nuclear transcription factor SNAIL1 on the viability, apoptosis, proliferation, migration, and invasion of SCC-9 and HSC-3 cells.
Immunohistochemical analysis of SNAIL1, E-cadherin, and N-cadherin was carried out in 47 samples representing oral epithelial dysplasia (OED) and 41 oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma (OTSCC). The suppression of SNAIL1 expression was performed using shRNA-expression vectors in HSC-3 and SCC-9 cells to investigate in vitro the impact of SNAIL1 on proliferation, apoptosis, viability, migration, and invasion of SCC-9 and HSC-3 cells.
Significant differences were observed in the expression of SNAIL1, E-cadherin, and N-Cadherin between OTSCC and OED. A low membrane expression of E-cadherin was strongly associated with poor overall survival in patients with OTSCC (P < .05), but the association did not withstand the Cox multivariate survival analysis. SNAIL1 silencing played a key role in the suppression of epithelial-mesenchymal transition and inhibited migration and invasion of HSC-3 cells (P < .0001, P < .01, respectively). In SCC-9 cells, SNAIL1 silencing promoted a significant reduction in the proliferation (P < .0001) and invasion (P < .0001).
The epithelial-mesenchymal transition is present in different stages of oral tongue carcinogenesis, and SNAIL1 plays a key role in this process, although the underlying mechanisms still need to be elucidated. Thus, SNAIL1 might be a promising therapeutic target in OTSCC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global Cancer Statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249
- Oral tongue carcinoma: prognostic changes according to the updated 2020 version of the AJCC/UICC TNM staging system.Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2022; 42: 140-149
- Oral potentially malignant disorders: risk of progression to malignancy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2018; 125: 612-627
- Biological role of epithelial-mesenchymal-transition-inducing transcription factors in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: a systematic review.Arch Oral Biol. 2020; 119104904
- Potential non-invasive biomarkers for early diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma.J Clin Med. 2021; 10: 1658
- The functional activity of E-cadherin controls tumor cell metastasis at multiple steps.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020; 117: 5931-5937
- Twist and E-cadherin deregulation might predict poor prognosis in lower lip squamous cell carcinoma.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2019; 127: 318-329
- Reciprocal expression of Slug and Snail in human oral cancer cells.PLoS One. 2018; 13 (Jul)e0199442
- The Axin2-snail axis promotes bone invasion by activating cancer-associated fibroblasts in oral squamous cell carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2020; 20: 987
- S100A16 regulated by Snail promotes the chemoresistance of nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer through the AKT/Bcl-2 pathway.Cancer Manag Res. 2019; 11: 2449-2456
- The epithelial-mesenchymal transition regulators Twist, Slug, and Snail are associated with aggressive tumour features and poor outcome in prostate cancer patients.J Pathol Clin Res. 2021; 7: 253-270
- WHO Classification of Head and Neck Tumours.4th ed. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), Lyon, France2017
- A simple novel prognostic model for early stage oral tongue cancer.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 44: 143-150
- Significance of Twist expression and its association with E-cadherin in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 28: 158
- Molecular events associated with ciclosporin A-induced gingival overgrowth are attenuated by Smad7 overexpression in fibroblasts.J Periodontal Res. 2012; 47: 149-158
- Stanniocalcin 2 contributes to aggressiveness and is a prognostic marker for oral squamous cell carcinoma.Exp Cell Res. 2020; 393112092
- A novel human leiomyoma tissue derived matrix for cell culture studies. BMC Cancer.BioMed Central. 2015; 15: 981
- Addressing patient specificity in the engineering of tumor models.Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2019; 7: 217
- E-cadherin downregulation and Twist overexpression since early stages of oral carcinogenesis.J Oral Pathol Med. 2014; 43: 125-131
- SNAIL1 employs β-Catenin-LEF1 complexes to control colorectal cancer cell invasion and proliferation.Int J Cancer. 2020; 146: 2229-2242
- PLAGL2 promotes the proliferation and migration of gastric cancer cells via USP37-mediated deubiquitination of Snail1.Theranostics. 2021; 11: 700-714
- Expression of twist, slug and snail in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and their prognostic significance.Oncol Lett. 2021; 21: 184
- Snail-induced EMT promotes cancer stem cell-like properties in head and neck cancer cells.Oncol Rep. 2016; 35: 261-266
- Marked epithelial to mesenchymal transition in surgical margins of oral cancer-an in vitro study.Oncol Lett. 2020; 19: 3743-3750
- Subcellular localization and expression of E-cadherin and SNAIL are relevant since early stages of oral carcinogenesis.Pathol Res Pract. 2018; 214: 1185-1191
- The E-cadherin and N-cadherin switch in epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition: signaling, therapeutic implications, and challenges.Cells. 2019; 8: 1118
- The cell-cell adhesion molecule E-cadherin.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2008; 65: 3756-3788
- N-cadherin in cancer metastasis, its emerging role in haematological malignancies and potential as a therapeutic target in cancer.BMC Cancer. 2018; 18: 939
- N-cadherin promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition and cancer stem cell-like traits via ErbB signaling in prostate cancer cells.Int J Oncol. 2016; 48: 595-606
- Cytoplasmic E-Cadherin expression is associated with higher tumour level of VEGFA, lower response rate to irinotecan-based treatment and poorer prognosis in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.Anticancer Res. 2019; 39: 1953-1957
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transition modulates lower lip carcinogenesis and promotes cancer progression.Arch Oral Biol. 2022; 136105387
- Histopathological grading systems analysis of oral squamous cell carcinomas of young patients.Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2016; 21: e285-e298
- Histopathologic grading and its relationship with outcome in oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma.J Oral Pathol Med. 2021; 50: 183-190
- The basics of epithelial-mesenchymal transition.J Clin Invest. 2009; 119: 1420-1428
- Twist and Snail/Slug expression in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma in correlation with lymph node metastasis.Anticancer Res. 2019; 39: 6307-6316
- Guidelines and definitions for research on epithelial-mesenchymal transition.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2021; 22: 834
Published online: February 01, 2023
Accepted: January 25, 2023
Received in revised form: November 23, 2022
Received: October 8, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.