The objective was to analyze radiomorphometric indices (RMIs) of mandibular cortical bone and fractal dimension (FD) of trabecular bone of individuals with osteogenesis imperfecta (OI) and compare the findings to those of individuals without OI.
Digital panoramic radiographs of 20 individuals with OI (case group) and 40 individuals without OI (control group) were examined. The RMIs of mandibular cortical index (MCI) and mandibular cortical thickness (MCT) were analyzed. FD of mandibular trabecular bone was calculated bilaterally in 3 regions. The chi-squared test and paired t test were used to compare the significance of differences between the groups. The effect size and minimal clinically important difference (MCID) were also determined. Significance was established at P < .05.
Categories C2 and C3 of the MCI were more frequent in individuals with OI (P < .001). The Mean MCT was 2.08 ± 0.79 in the OI case group and 2.91 ± 0.60 in the control group (P < .001). Mean FD in the condylar region was significantly lower in the OI case group (P = .002). The effect size for these 2 measures was large, and the difference between groups was greater than the MCID.
Radiographs of individuals with OI exhibited more porosity and diminished thickness of the mandibular cortical bone and lower FD values in the condylar trabecular bone.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Current overview of osteogenesis imperfecta.Medicina (Kaunas). 2021; 57: 464
- Osteogenesis imperfecta.Lancet. 2004; 363: 1377-1385
- What is new in genetics and osteogenesis imperfecta classification?.J Pediatr (Rio J). 2014; 90: 536-541
- Osteogenesis imperfecta: current issues of etiology, pathogenesis, classification (systematic review).Genij Ortopedii. 2021; 27: 453-460
- Genetic heterogeneity in osteogenesis imperfecta.J Med Genet. 1979; 16: 101-116
- New 3D cone beam CT imaging parameters to assist the dentist in treating patients with osteogenesis imperfecta.Healthcare (Basel). 2020; 8: 546
- Bone density, fractures and the associated factors in iranian children and adolescent with osteogenesis imperfecta.BMC Pediatr. 2021; 21: 37
International Society for Clinical Densitometry-ISCD. The International Society for Clinical Densitometry, Official Positions Adult and Pediatric, 2019. Available at: https://iscd.org/learn/official-positions/. Accessed November 2, 2021.
- Bisphosphonate treatment for children with disabling conditions.PM R. 2014; 6: 427-436
- Distributional variations in the quantitative cortical and trabecular bone radiographic measurements of mandible, between male and female populations of Korea, and its utilization.PLoS One. 2016; 11E0167992
- Diagnostic performance of fractal dimension and radiomorphometric indices from digital panoramic radiographs for screening low bone mineral density.Braz J Oral Sci. 2016; 15: 131-136
- Assessment of the trabecular structure of mandibular condyles in patients with temporomandibular disorders using fractal analysis.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2017; 123: 382-391
- Predictors factors of low bone mineral density in dental panoramic radiographs.J Osteopor Phys Act. 2016; 4: 1-5
- Fractal analysis of trabecular bone pattern in the mandible as an indicator of osteoporosis in women - a clinical study.Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2018; 11: 157-160
- Mandibular cortical index in the screening of postmenopausal at low mineral density risk: a systematic review.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2021; 5020200514
- Is jaw fractal dimension a reliable biomarker for osteoporosis screening? A systematic review and meta-analysis of diagnostic test accuracy studies.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2022; 5120210365
- Efficacy and safety of bisphosphonate therapy in children with osteogenesis imperfecta: a systematic review.Horm Res Paediatr. 2015; 84: 26-42
- Fractal analysis of periapical bone from lossy compressed radiographs: a comparison of two lossy compression methods.J Digit Imaging. 2011; 24: 993-998
- Effect of image resolution and compression on fractal analysis of the periapical bone.Acta Inform Medica. 2019; 27: 167-170
- Pantomography in assessment of the osteoporosis risk group.Scand J Dent Res. 1994; 102: 68-72
- Mandibular radiomorphometric parameters of women with cemento-osseous dysplasia.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2019; 4820190359
- Diagnostic capabilities of fractal dimension and mandibular cortical width to identify men and women with decreased bone mineral density.Osteoporos Int. 2012; 23: 1631-1636
- Dental panoramic indices and fractal dimension measurements in osteogenesis imperfecta children under pamidronate treatment.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2016; 4520150400
- Alterations of the trabecular pattern of the jaws in patients with osteoporosis.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1999; 88: 628-635
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research.J Chiropr Med. 2016; 15: 155-163
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Methods for assessing responsiveness: a critical review and recommendations.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 459-468
- Interpretation of changes in health-related quality of life: the remarkable universality of half a standard deviation.Med Care. 2003; 41: 582-592
- Parametric v non-parametric methods for data analysis.MJ. 2009; 338: a3167
- Pamidronate affects the mandibular cortex of children with osteogenesis imperfecta.J Dent Res. 2015; 94: 95S-102S
- Pamidronate therapy increases trabecular bone complexity of mandibular condyles in individuals with osteogenesis imperfecta.Calcif Tissue Int. 2022; 110: 303-312
- Use of fractal analysis in dental images for osteoporosis detection: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Osteoporos Int. 2021; 32: 1041-1052
- Management of osteogenesis imperfecta: a multidisciplinary comprehensive approach.Clin Orthop Surg. 2020; 12: 417-429
- Evaluation of trabecular pattern of mandible using fractal dimension, bone area fraction, and gray scale value: comparison of cone-beam computed tomography and panoramic radiography.Oral Radiol. 2019; 35: 35-42
- Use of netnography to understand GoFundMe crowdfunding profiles posted for individuals and families of children with osteogenesis imperfecta.Healthcare. 2022; 10: 1451
- Comparison of fractal dimension analysis and panoramic-based radiomorphometric indices in the assessment of mandibular bone changes in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2018; 126: 184-191
- Evaluation of osseous changes in dental panoramic radiography of thalassemia patients using mandibular indexes and fractal size analysis.Oral Radiol. 2020; 36: 18-24
- A new cone-beam computed tomography-driven index for osteoporosis prediction.Clin Oral Investig. 2020; 24: 3193-3202
- Dental and radiographic findings as predictors of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2009; 9: 155-164
- Relationships between mandibular cortical indexes, bone mineral density, and osteoporotic fractures in Brazilian men over 60 years old.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011; 112: 648-656
- Mandibular cortical shape index in non-standardised panoramic radiographs for identifying patients with osteoporosis as defined by the German Osteology Organization.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2013; 41: e165-e169
- Malocclusion in individuals with osteogenesis imperfecta: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Oral Dis. 2022; 28: 314-325
Published online: February 12, 2023
Accepted: February 4, 2023
Received in revised form: January 25, 2023
Received: September 2, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.